General Halfords Idiotic Computer

Currently reading:
General Halfords Idiotic Computer

stilojay

So, I get my facia adapter from Halfords, the computer says 'wiring adapter not required'.

As KoaRang suggested last week, the standard tape player just pulls out without keys (or even a screw-driver)..

But when I plugged my Sony Mini-Disc into the cars wiring I had no joy. Seems there is a wire in a different hole on the Sonys block to that which the Stilo has on its wiring block :confused: do I need a wiring 'adapter'? Or is the Halfords computer right, and something is array either in the cars or the Mini-Disc's block?

After they gave me keys to take out a radio that did not need them, and then them keys not workinh anyways, I see your point :D

yeah... I opened the top glove box to grap one side of it, and I think I wedged a Sony Key the other side because I could not get my fingers to the right side... how, erm, secure NOT Lol... Fiat - radio theives Paradise? (n)

well the computer at Halfords said i'd not need any wiring adapters... think I'll go find myself an ICE shop Lol

You just need to swap the Red and Yellow wires on the Sony ISO lead and everything will be fine - I had to do that when I fitted a CDX-CA900 head unit a while back.

You can release the blades in the ISO block by sticking a suitable tool (i used a 12v test probe) into the block - you will just need to reposition the locking tabs before you push them back into their new positions.

Then you can link both the red and yellow using the bullet connectors in the harness to get it all working. It's all down to the Stilo ISO having no switched live as the original HU uses pulses from the CAN network (i.e. body computer) to switch on and off.

hey fantastic cheers... if I never turn up again I've managed to blow myself up with a 12v charge Lol :rolleyes: maybe I'll wait til its finished its trip to the garage first. Ta.

Stuart DemonD said:
Coat hangers work just as well.

even better, if you bend a piece of metal into the right shape and then file the ends down so they fit the holes, and put a small notch on them. Literally just push one in one side till it clicks, then the other side. then pull lightly on them and the lot comes out. :D

Lol forget breaking your wife's/mother's hangers.... mine just came out :rolleyes:

we got our first Irish (republic) Halfords branch a few weeks back. what a disappointment! thought it'd be much better. very little stock on display. and staff ask you if you're alright every thirty seconds. can't really browse. Hate that!

haha - nope... anyways, I went back into Halfords, and because their computer said 'no wiring adapter required' he stayed firm - idiot :bang:

I'm not fully convinced I wanted to touch wiring (I can break things with out even touching them :rolleyes: ), so I took it to my local ice installer - he charged me £30 to sort the wiring out, and, he made it so I could plug the standard tape player back in for when I dispose of my girl... which wont be for a while ;)

mad_colm said:
we got our first Irish (republic) Halfords branch a few weeks back. what a disappointment! thought it'd be much better. very little stock on display. and staff ask you if you're alright every thirty seconds. can't really browse. Hate that!

You wanna come to the one in wigan, They dont ask you for hellp, and the staff either hide or make a good point of not seeing you. The only member of staff you can get hold of is the till bird.

Stilojay, I think someone saw you comming- all the ice dealer did was do was mentioned previously in the thread.

Thinking of the profit thats been made there i might quit my job :)

Lol trust me, I have the ability to blow fuses by just turning electrical things on.. £30 is a small price to pay if me fiddling means i break/snap/blow-up/kill something important... Stilo's are full of electrics, and i ain't up for breaking it :D

I just got a new Sony Headunit - Goes in the car tommorow, Sony have now put bullet Connectors on the Battery live and the Switched live - Just swap them over red to Yellow - Yellow to red - Easy.

Mind you I'll see tommorow :eek:

Bo~Select@ said:
I just got a new Sony Headunit - Goes in the car tommorow, Sony have now put bullet Connectors on the Battery live and the Switched live - Just swap them over red to Yellow - Yellow to red - Easy.

Mind you I'll see tommorow :eek:

Just like Kenwood!
They have been doing that for years!

Stilojay, any electrical work you want doing, contact BBSElectricals- starting rates are £29.99!

You just need to swap the Red and Yellow wires on the Sony ISO lead and everything will be fine - I had to do that when I fitted a CDX-CA900 head unit a while back.

You can release the blades in the ISO block by sticking a suitable tool (i used a 12v test probe) into the block - you will just need to reposition the locking tabs before you push them back into their new positions.

Then you can link both the red and yellow using the bullet connectors in the harness to get it all working. It's all down to the Stilo ISO having no switched live as the original HU uses pulses from the CAN network (i.e. body computer) to switch on and off.

fantastic m8 got me out of a mess lol riped out old fiat head unit and couldnt figure out y my new alpine unit wasnt working but tht sorted it out real quick thanks again :D

Back