Technical Grande Punto - Not starting at first attempt

Currently reading:
Technical Grande Punto - Not starting at first attempt

jwenn

Hello,

Car: Fiat Grande Punto 2008 1.4 8V

Having an issue starting up the car at first attempt. This only happens in colds starts and all is well at the second attempt and further.

No issues when driving the car. But if the car sits for 4-5 hours not driving then two attempts needed to start the car.

What could be the problem?

Fuel pump, fuel filter, air in circuit...
How it goes if you turn the key twice or trice to prime the pump/fuel circuit ? Wait a few seconds with ignition ON then another few seconds in OFF ... That would give us a bit more info.

BRs, Bernie

If someone here helped You fix -or better- understand your issue, hit the thanks icon @ bottom right corner, it's free and makes us feel helpy ;-)

Fuel pump, fuel filter, air in circuit...
How it goes if you turn the key twice or trice to prime the pump/fuel circuit ? Wait a few seconds with ignition ON then another few seconds in OFF ... That would give us a bit more info.

BRs, Bernie

If someone here helped You fix -or better- understand your issue, hit the thanks icon @ bottom right corner, it's free and makes us feel helpy ;-)

Prime happens when the driver door opens right? I'll try the way you have described and comeback with the results.

Hhhmm, not sure which pump starts at driver's door opening; either the primary fuel pump or the hydraulic pump for dualogic gearbox ... Someone ??

BRs, Bernie

Did as Bernievarian described and the car starts at first attempt. But it cranks more than usual.

And I was wrong earlier. I remember clearly that my mechanic said it is the dualogic pump that prime when opening the driver door.

Any thoughts?

Last edited:
That clearly indicates some weakness in the fuel delivery system. Conveniently and according to eLearn, all components but the inertia switch are located in the reservoir.
There is a pre-filter mesh can could get partly clogged by foreign particles that went their way to the tank. The pressure regulator being a diaphragm type could become leaky, still allowing enough pressure to build-up but not keeping it in the pipe and injection manifold (like symptoms).
The fuel ramp on the engine is equiped with a rapid connector where one can measure the fuel pressure, which btw should be 3,5 bars should stau steady even when engine is cut off.

BRs, Bernie

The fuel pump assy can be accessed from the passengers compartiment, under the rear seats rest

Attachments

• Fuel injection Punto 1.4 16V.JPG
    Fuel injection Punto 1.4 16V.JPG
    45.2 KB · Views: 45
Hello peeps,

I took my time since my last reply and test with the above method "Wait a few seconds with ignition ON then another few seconds in OFF" thoroughly and the car isn't starting at first attempt with this method.

So in that case could this lead to spark plugs/battery or some other electrical issue?

Thanks.

Back