Technical Grande punto high idle

Currently reading:
Technical Grande punto high idle

Hi sometimes when I come to a stop my car is idling around 1000 rpm any ideas to why? I am going to have a go at pulling the throttle body off and giving it a clean in the morning.

Yeh give the throttle body a clean whilst your at it take off both hoses and see if they have any gunk in them or if they have any holes or splits in them mate.

Tbh mine hovers around the 1000rpm for the first 90 seconds then comes down to about 650/700 rpm.

Regards
Stephen

Check oil breather hose. (The small curved one ) classic fail

Sometimes, when IDLE voltage is LOW, ECU rises RPM to increase current generation.

Let's say, if you keep the engine idling for a long time (1-2 minutes it's long) with lights, hazard lights, a/c etc on, engine will increase RPM from ~650 to ~1000.

ECU it's going to keep that minimum idle (1000rpm) for some time even after you start driving.

(that applies to starjet ecu, it's on the specs)

Also engines' minimum RPM is ~1000 with the car rolling (without gear) until it's almost stopped. Then minimum rpm goes to 650 again.

Last edited:
When this happen again ( 1000rpm minimum idle ) , shut engine off - turn on again and check rpm. If it's ~650rpm (normal idle @88C) check voltage before it rises to ~1000rpm again.

Back