Grande Punto GPS Sat Nav DVD 5" Group Buy

Currently reading:
Grande Punto GPS Sat Nav DVD 5" Group Buy

Guys really don't want to be a kill joy and I could be wrong but has anyone had it confirmed that this unit come in English because from everytime I have searched for this item it never says that it does?

I would suggest (forgive me if someone already has) emailing the company and asking them if this item comes loaded with UK Language. From my reading of it thought it doesn't appear to.

This item isn't as simple as just unplug old and plug new one in from the looks of it?

Don't get me wrong it is very nice unit (although not interested myself).

Just thought someone might want to check out the language bit and the fitting?

Regards
Stephen

Guys really don't want to be a kill joy and I could be wrong but has anyone had it confirmed that this unit come in English because from everytime I have searched for this item it never says that it does?

I would suggest (forgive me if someone already has) emailing the company and asking them if this item comes loaded with UK Language. From my reading of it thought it doesn't appear to.

This item isn't as simple as just unplug old and plug new one in from the looks of it?

Don't get me wrong it is very nice unit (although not interested myself).

Just thought someone might want to check out the language bit and the fitting?

Regards
Stephen

I can read Chinese traditional/simplified which is where its from so happy days :)

Hi guys,

can someone please explain to me the difference between S1 and S2 models? Is that the Non-Evo and Evo designations?

SJB1985, the unit is using a Microsoft Windows as the operating system. The language support will come from the OS not the OEM, so whilst I haven't had it confirmed by the supplier, I work in IT and I know that the OS will support various languages. If that was a restriction then the Chinese would only be able to supply in their domestic market and I don't think there is a big enough Fiat market in the country yet. Still a fair point, to be confirmed.

Connections at the back of the unit are standard plus of course a host of additional connections like every other aftermarket unit. From what I understand steering wheel controls are supported also. ;)

Shame the Chinese new year is just kicking off so we wont hear nothing from them for at least a month. :shakehead:

Hum

Name-------->Car Model------>Controls Fascia Colour------>Y.O.M.

Ken Mavor-- ->1.2 Active GP----->Grey---------------------->Oct 2008

Sean23491--->1.4 16v Starjet--->Black--------------------->Nov 2007

James44422--->1.4 8v DS --->Grey/Silver--------------------->2008 (Not sure of month but its an S2 if that makes a difference)

Luke Buller ---> 1.4 tjet --> chemical grey ---> don't know the month but it's an S2 and 2009.[/QUOTE]

Humour----->1.3 Mjet--------->Black------------------------->Sep 2007

Now we are getting the idea ;) Just keep adding to the above list please. Perhaps it makes more sense to change YOM to S1,S2,S3...etc? I don't know the difference so I need feedback guys.

Can someone please confirm whether Grey/Silver is different to Chemical Grey? If no then please try to use the same syntax/terminology e.g. Black, Grey, etc. If there are more colour combinations than Black and Grey can someone in the know list all the colour options please?

Knowing the Chinese, we may need to provide Hi-Res images of the various colours under agreed lighting conditions e.g. taking the snaps at the same date/time to neutralise lighting conditions as much as possible, so we can ensure they can accommodate.

Hum

Last edited:

James44422--->1.4 8v DS --->Grey/Silver--------------------->2008 (Not sure of month but its an S2 if that makes a difference)

Luke Buller ---> 1.4 tjet --> chemical grey ---> don't know the month but it's an S2 and 2009.[/QUOTE]

ChrisUK ---> 1.9 Mjet Sporting ---> Black Facia ---> Jan 2008

Count me in guys that looks cool. Only worry is it's not Android like some of the OEM style units you can get for BMW, Merc, etc.

Quick search online reveals some details.......

29234.jpg

29235.jpg

29236.jpg

29237.jpg

If you can read Italian, some info about the internals, mostly the navigation chipset and memory used.....

29238.jpg

29239.jpg

The Evo unit......

29240.jpg

Ok so the new unit looks a bit different on the back from what I have seen. The two USB pigtails have gone, now I see only one USB port. DBV-T tuner built in (two silver SMA antenna ports), don't know what the gold plated SMA port is for (perhaps for a GPS antenna), one what looks like SPDIF connector for Apple "I" devices (shame it looks like no Android support, fekkers), and the rest are standard DIN plugs one of which provides the preouts via the pigtail shown in the other image. That leaves the little white connector presumably for the steering wheel controls?

Also this unit for sale in Italy at 240 euros, so we should be able to do better than that. :)

Hum

Last edited:
Is the Chinese one the same one in that Swedish link someone posted?

Hi Chris,

the Swedish link lists V1, the unit in the images I posted is the V2 of the same. I don't think the manufacturer can supply the older unit anymore, but will check. There are significant differences on the back Interfaces of the units between V1 and V2, looks like more integration in V2 with the exception of the pre-outs pigtail which forces all the wires to be housed somewhere even if only 1 needs to be used.

Hum

I think the plugs changed in 2009 (evo models?) from standard iso to the quadlock plug. There again a radio adaptor for 5 quid is surely worst case scenario?

Lucky7 ---> 1.4 GP ---------> Dark Grey? --------------> S2 2008

I'm in, again, for the right price. Are there 3 facia colours? Mine is neither black or silver, more of a graphite grey. .

Last edited:

Lukeeee77 ---> 1.4 tjet --> chemical grey ---> S2 September 2009

Lukeeee77 ---> 1.4 tjet --> chemical grey ---> S2 September 2009

Lordpvl----->1.3 Mjet--------->Black------------------------->June 2008

hi chaps. as i have installed one of these into my car i can give you any insights you want. first of all i've changed 3 units in order to find the one version that does everything well. the older unit had a terrible screen (crappy touch response) . every day i callibrated it in order to work as reliable as possible. ( 4 dots to callibrate). all worked fine , good sound quality but after about 20 minutes it rebooted itself without any notice. didn't mind at first but using multiecuscan i figured what was wrong with it. no can-bus connection.multiecuscan refused to connect to the car when the unit was installed and was able to connect when the unit was removed. thus those wierd "bsod" was the result of faulty can-bus connection.i returned the unit and i was provided with a replacement , an improved version (only in software). this was absolutely brilliant. it even had a small box for correct can-bus connection. but no sound at all. it "propably" didn't have the codecs installed . the unit of the first post is the unit i have right now and i am satisfied. it has been working flawlessly for about 3 months now. do get the external microphone though because the built in one is useless.

Last edited:
Back