General Got me a Marea, got me some problems....

Currently reading:
General Got me a Marea, got me some problems....

matt1982

I've just been given a 2000 Marea 1.6 100 Saloon in a lovely Bergundy!! The car has just tipped over 100,000 miles but has been maintained well (former owner, my dad, is more cheque book than spanners!).

I'm stuck in a dilema. It was initially a short term thing, I'm into classic minis and mine was off the road so my old man offerd me his Marea as he got offerd a poor trade in price, the car had a month or so tax and test. I took the car on on short term insurance and to be honest I've really liked having a reliable comfortable car that you can drive when your not in the mood. The Mini is noisey and uncomfy and generally a pain to drive.....but fun!!

The MOT is now out and tax is up at the end of the month so it either needs to be taxed and tested by 1st July or off the road, mini has my off road parking so would have to get shot of the Fiat. It seems too nice to scrap and i know come the winter I'd really apreciate it.

My worries are that it needs some work. Needs lower arms but I think I can manage that but it also has a belt squeel that worries me.

Any clue on the squeeling??

Convince me to keep it, I don't want it but I don't want shot of it!!

Cheers

Matt

try to tension the aux belt (alternator adjustment), failing that replace the belt (£10).

is there any reason you wait until after the MOT has expired to get it tested? i always get mine booked at least 3 weeks before it expires, that way you dont have to drive away form the test illegally if you fail. if you get caught you'll regret it.

is there any reason you wait until after the MOT has expired to get it tested? i always get mine booked at least 3 weeks before it expires, that way you dont have to drive away form the test illegally if you fail. if you get caught you'll regret it.

Because I honestly didn't know if I was going to bother keeping the car. My dad offerd to get it MOT'd before I got it but I was so sure I wasn't going to keep it once the mini was back on the road I told him not to bother! Doh!

Also the test centre is at least 75 metres from my house so I was willing to take the risk!! :p

Thanks for the advice, I may well tax and test it then sell it on for something smaller for the missus to use, we'll see.....

Matt

Back