General Goodbye to my Panda Cross

Currently reading:
General Goodbye to my Panda Cross

perelaar

Long term absent from the forum, as I did not have anything to report.
Now though, news: after a gearbox failure on my 4y old/58000km Panda Cross twinair and a completely ridiculous repair quote from the main stealer I've decided to part ways with the Panda.

In short, the main dealer who always did the maintenance asked for 500€ just to diagnose the issue. Independent garage diagnosed it for free, gearbox issues, most likely the synchromesh of 1st gear and reverse. Repair (including work hours and parts at half the price of the main dealer) would probably be about 4000€. One big problem: finding parts for the gearbox.

So I've decided to stop throwing money at it, and have bought a small second-hand Ford van. Very sorry to see it go, but I just don't trust the car or the dealer who sold it to me and did all the maintenance anymore. Incidentally, the dealer asks 80€/hour for labour.

I've had about 20 cars so far, various brands, engines and gearboxes - and never had a gearbox failure. The Panda replaced a Nissan Terrano II with 370000km and a perfectly fine clutch and gearbox.

Bought a van as the car market exploded here in Belgium. New cars are not to be had unless one is prepared to wait for months and pay €€€€. Second hand prices for (newer) cars went through the roof. Combined with the facts that I good a price for the Panda, that I'm renovating my house, that the van was cheaper than a trailer and that I can use it for both my hobbies (shooting and fishing, often combined with camping) a van was the best option.

So goodbye Panda - and never again Fiat...

Sometimes it just more economically to just move on. Sounds like a small van going to be more useful to you
Indeed. Nothing against the Panda itself, it is great fun to drive, but the dealer behavior and reliability issues are too much for me.

Back