General Good bye to a journalistic legend.

Currently reading:
General Good bye to a journalistic legend.

The Beard

Prominent member
This may not be in the right place, but most UK members won't know who I'm talking about whereas those from over the pond almost certainly will.

I found out today that a few months ago David E Davis, long time editor of Car and Driver magazine passed away. In a world of cars called such as Viva, Allegro, Minor, Oxford, Cambridge and Cortina he brought me cars called Thunderbird, Mustang, Cougar, Corvette, Charger and Challenger. The only fly in that ointment was that over here we got the Hillman Avenger while you ended up with the Chrysler Cricket.

While we got 1500cc and 65 bhp, you got 351 CID and 300 bhp. We got 0-60 in 15 seconds you got 15 second quarter miles. We got navigation rallies where you can't be too late.....or too early getting to checkpoints and averaged something like 35 miles an hour, you got the Cannonball Baker Sea to Shining Sea Memorial Trophy Dash with Brock Yates and Dan Gurney in a 365 GTB Daytona and the Polish Racing Drivers of America in a Dodge ambulance. The film the Cannonball Run was never as good as the real thing.

David E Davis steered Car and Driver and me through all that and me through much of my teenage life. Thanks Bud.

R.I.P. David

Last edited:
I'm sad to hear that.

I've read his articles both here in the UK and when I lived in the US.

It is sad when people of his ability pass away and when we read some of what passes for motoring journalism today.

I loved reading Car and Driver in those days and fully enjoyed his work. Goodbye old friend, we will miss you!

Back