Tuning Giannini model specs

Currently reading:
Tuning Giannini model specs

PointFiveO

Hi All, having seen past posts expressing interest in Giannini 500s I thought some might be interested in this page on the Italian fiat500fansclub site. It is in Italian but even if you can’t speak Italian you could make out the specs of most of the models; engine capacity, hp, compression ratio, carb, camshaft, top speed etc.

Colm.

http://www.fiat500fansclub.com/inde...ent&view=article&id=7&Itemid=23&limitstart=11

Just noticed this link is no longer valid so here’s another link, giving the same model specs, still in Italian.

Colm

I went to a Raduno in Norcia (Umbria) about 4 years ago and there were as many "Giannini" replicas as there were "Abarth". Giannini was just as good a tuner as "Abarth", and in some cases got more power out of smaller engines. Fiat, being that they own the "Abarth" name and brand, have really clamped down (in Italy) on places selling "Abarth" pattern parts---but as they have never had any financial connection with "Giannini" they can't touch them, so people are building "Giannini" replicas. The company lasted longer than "Abarth", and I believe are still in business.

I went to a Raduno in Norcia (Umbria) about 4 years ago and there were as many "Giannini" replicas as there were "Abarth". Giannini was just as good a tuner as "Abarth", and in some cases got more power out of smaller engines. Fiat, being that they own the "Abarth" name and brand, have really clamped down (in Italy) on places selling "Abarth" pattern parts---but as they have never had any financial connection with "Giannini" they can't touch them, so people are building "Giannini" replicas. The company lasted longer than "Abarth", and I believe are still in business.
Giannini were an interesting tuner. There’s plenty of home footage on the internet of Abarth and Giannini 500s fighting it out on Italian racing circuits during the 60s and 70s. You’re right, whereas internationally Abarth are well know, Giannini seem to be much less known outside of Italy but as you say as much revered within Italy for their tuned fiat 500 models. I get the impression that in Giannini concentrated on the 500 model back in the 1960s whereas Abarth put a lot of effort into tuning the larger 600 and 850 models and to my mind I would associate Abarth more during that time for their fiat 600 based 850tc and 1000tc cars. I also wonder if there might be a bit of a north/south competition with Giannini being based in Rome whereas Abarth were based up north in Turin close to Fiat. I’ve attached a link to an interview with Attilio Giannini by Davide Cironi, from a few years back.

This one is very overlooked these days
66DA35A4-B641-4737-95BE-18D073834C81.jpeg
0666E3D9-BA0B-44B7-820A-B6647813774F.jpeg

Yes they are virtually unknown outside of Italy, i only came to learn about them and their history as i began to search for tuner parts, and saw a few with their name on it, and some talk about them. I then went down that rabbit hole, lots of interesting history especially between Giannini and Abarth. I was also a big fan of Davide Cironi's videos; with the help of captions. lol

I think Giannini has a missed opportunity here. They are still around and family owned. They have a site, but barely any info. They have a shop, but no actual parts to sell. Do they even offer the option for dealers to carry their parts? I realize that a large part of their "tuning" can only be done in house, but i personally see a potential market if they offered all the classic hop up goodies alot of us go on the hunt for (carbs, sumps, exhaust, heads, cylinder kits, etc). Abarth doesnt offically make any 500 parts any more, its just a brand and a badge now that its corporate owned. It would be nice to be able to buy genuine Giannini 500 modification parts. In Davide's video, it seemed like they were very busy back in the day doing just that. Bits and pcs that 500 owners could buy and slowly upgrade their car as funds permitted.

Maybe they see the market over saturated with other generic upgrade parts, and its not worth their time to re-enter?

Last edited:
There is a complete original Alquati manifold and carb set on Italian eBay. Carb looks like a twin choke sidedraught Solex.

Strangely enough, I've just listed my Giannini for sale as it's time for another Fiat based project. If anyone is interested please take a look here:

Mauro

Back