Technical Getting into door, when lock if jammed?

Currently reading:
Technical Getting into door, when lock if jammed?

Hi All,

I have a Fiat Marea Weekend P Reg, and today, when trying to getting into the driver side front door, the lock jammed.

So got in through passenger side, after the central locking going mad and got home.

When home started to try and fix it. The key turns, but the button doesn't come up that far. When turning the key, turning it to unlock the car, it doesn't activate the central locking, turning it to lock will activate the central locking.

I stripped back what i could of the inside of the door, with the fact that i couldn't get the door open (ripped it :( ), and put my hand in to lever it, but it seems that the button lever, on the back of the lock, coming from the button will go down ok, but doesn't move enough to open it, and allow the door to open.

With the fact that the door can't be opened, what can i do?
Please anyone?

Just to confirm, the lock that the lever isn't moving that far, its on the lock, on the side of the door, NOT the key lock.

Cheers
Shaiboy_UK

It sounds like either the door latch has failed or the rod has come loose and is fouling on the top of the latch.
The best I can suggest is to remove the door trim on the passenger side, get a good idea of how the lock should work and see if it feels the same on the drivers side.
If you have no luck with that it will probably mean a trip to the garage.
Good luck, let us know how you get on.

polecat said:
It sounds like either the door latch has failed or the rod has come loose and is fouling on the top of the latch.
The best I can suggest is to remove the door trim on the passenger side, get a good idea of how the lock should work and see if it feels the same on the drivers side.
If you have no luck with that it will probably mean a trip to the garage.
Good luck, let us know how you get on.

Hi,

Thanks for your reply polecat.
I should have explained, i done that already, took off the passenger side trim, and that how i found that the lock lever wasn't moving all that far when going up (unlocking). Someone i know suggested a problem with the solenoid for the lock, is this possible? but it will move the lock button down, just not up! And if this is the issue how can the door be opened to get this problem solved?

Cheers
Shaiboy_UK

I have a similar problem. The driver and passenger doors of my Fiat Marea are jammed and will not open with the key. I managed to crawl into the front through the back hatch which luckily I had left open. However, even from the inside I couldn’t open either door using the inside handles, and the button feels very stiff when I try to lift it up. As it is a Bank Holiday weekend I doubt if I will find a garage open. :( Any ideas? :idea:

(Model is an S reg Fiat Marea Weekend. 1.8)

Is it not just frozen up

Thanks for your quick reply Johnston550. It is around 5°C here right now and the drivers’ door is currently south facing with the sun shining on it. The lock freezing is a possibility, and I don’t discount this of course, but it has been much colder this week and I’ve not had any problems with it. I should add that the passanger door has been jammed for a while now. I recently cut a C shaped section around the edge of the fabric of the passenger door where it meets the plastic panel, folded this back to reach the mechanism inside. This allowed me to reach cable which moves when the key is turned, suggesting that the central locking itself is working. I also tried spraying WD-40 into the lock and around the catch. But no luck. :bang:

Had this on my old bravo. As said before it was the rod's coming loose and fouling. You may have to wreck the door card getting it off, but get it right out the way, disconnect everything (including the central locking solenoid) then try it, that should sort it. If not then the lock mechanism has failed and as said it'll be a garage job :(

Gooc luck!

The mechanic had to break the lock to open the door and I am struggling to find a replacement lock from local salvage yards. Does anyone know if I can fit a Fiat Bravo driver’s door lock mechanism into a Marea Weekend?

Back