General General Uno Questions

Currently reading:
General General Uno Questions

Yeah-nah

Im talking about a 87 Uno here..

what type of boss kit does it have? - stearing wheel looks like a antique.

Stud patern is 4x98 I believe? Possible to fit anything else on? Ie, 4x100? Im trying to find some descent 15's, but 4x98 is a bitch to find. :\

Yeah-nah said:
Im talking about a 87 Uno here..

what type of boss kit does it have? - stearing wheel looks like a antique.

Stud patern is 4x98 I believe? Possible to fit anything else on? Ie, 4x100? Im trying to find some descent 15's, but 4x98 is a bitch to find. :\

Stud patern is 4x98 I believe? yes they are

Possible to fit anything else on? Ie, 4x100? yep will fit but you need to buy yourself a set of wobbly bolts

bulldog5046 said:
Stud patern is 4x98 I believe? yes they are

Possible to fit anything else on? Ie, 4x100? yep will fit but you need to buy yourself a set of wobbly bolts

True. Price I can expect?
What about rims? What will it fit? 16s... :\

195/45/15's should go straight on, i beleive 16's have been done with a lot of work

the size is fairly common so should be plenty of web based companies around to check on, personally i'm inclined to go for the 98pcd as not overly trusting of wobble bolts

nothing wrong with wobbly bolts imo, just put some on my car and had them checked by a couple of garages and also got the tracking done, no probs! but its obviously personal taste on what you trust!
As for the steering wheel boss kit, prob about £40 for one depending on the make of wheel its for however i think the uno turbo wheel is a nice looking wheel.

Stupot_Ph2 said:
nothing wrong with wobbly bolts imo, just put some on my car and had them checked by a couple of garages and also got the tracking done, no probs! but its obviously personal taste on what you trust!
As for the steering wheel boss kit, prob about £40 for one depending on the make of wheel its for however i think the uno turbo wheel is a nice looking wheel.

Hmmm.. Wobbly bolts.. :\ You say that you had them checked and that they were fine, but Id rather have the right fitting. Effect the handling or can you notice anything different when you drive?

Hi Yeah-Nah! Welcome to the forum. What a great name - one of my favourite Kiwisms - you ask a question, and the answer is 'yeah-nah, I don't think so either'

98pcd is common-ish in the UK but very rare over here. Renaults and Alfas - especially the 'Sud or the 33 - are possible wheel donors but only for 13".

Bear in mind that steel wheels are lighter than alloys (!) and don't get damaged as easily.

Anyway - Steve's right, the biggest thing is whether you feel happy about fitting 'wobbly' bolts (they have a shoulder and a freely-moving sleeve to locate in the wheel hole). I reckon the time you'd notice it is when you fit the wheels - many people complain about the standard bolt arrangement! When you start using aftermarket wheels that are not hub-centric (they don't fit tightly on the hub like the standard wheels) then the fitting suddenly becomes a whole lot harder.

I reckon you should search on Trademe periodically for FIAT wheels. There is (I think) a set of Uno Turbo wheels for sale at the moment. I have a set that I might be persuaded to part with - two are refinished, two tyres OK and two tyres quite worn (but I think all four are WOF standard). $200, or I have another set of five wheels only (no tyres) in need of sanding/polishing but bascially good - no noticeable damage, just average appearance. $100.

The steering wheel - there are three wheels in common circulation. Base model 45 comes with a three-spoke wheel with thin, hard rim. 60 and early 70 comes with a three-spoke wheel that has a much thicker, soft rim and padded centre (but looks the same as the 45!) Later 70 comes with a four-spoke wheel, thick and soft.

Of all these, I prefer the thin, hard type! But there is also the Turbo wheel - sorry Steve, I think these are HIDEOUSLY ugly! They look very early-80s cheap-car with the flat rectangular centre, and having 'Turbo i.e.' emblazoned across it hardly helps. What you really need is the tasteful appearance of a Momo (fitted to the Mk2 Uno Turbo '89-'92 but really a design from the 80s and earlier!), but you will need a boss kit for the Mk1. Try Mal Simmonds (Dino Enterprises, 027 495 2415 or www.fiatparts.co.nz) and tell him Alex sent ya :)

-Alex

alexGS said:
Hi Yeah-Nah! Welcome to the forum. What a great name - one of my favourite Kiwisms - you ask a question, and the answer is 'yeah-nah, I don't think so either'

98pcd is common-ish in the UK but very rare over here. Renaults and Alfas - especially the 'Sud or the 33 - are possible wheel donors but only for 13".

Bear in mind that steel wheels are lighter than alloys (!) and don't get damaged as easily.

Anyway - Steve's right, the biggest thing is whether you feel happy about fitting 'wobbly' bolts (they have a shoulder and a freely-moving sleeve to locate in the wheel hole). I reckon the time you'd notice it is when you fit the wheels - many people complain about the standard bolt arrangement! When you start using aftermarket wheels that are not hub-centric (they don't fit tightly on the hub like the standard wheels) then the fitting suddenly becomes a whole lot harder.

I reckon you should search on Trademe periodically for FIAT wheels. There is (I think) a set of Uno Turbo wheels for sale at the moment. I have a set that I might be persuaded to part with - two are refinished, two tyres OK and two tyres quite worn (but I think all four are WOF standard). $200, or I have another set of five wheels only (no tyres) in need of sanding/polishing but bascially good - no noticeable damage, just average appearance. $100.

-Alex

Hello Alex. :p Good, Im not the only one on this side of the planet. : )

You mean these?

18712981_full.jpg

The only other set of desent wheels Ive found are factory alfa aloys which have a buy now of $1200. :\... bit on the high end of the market. Kinda stupid, cause their only 15's... not chrome... nothing special at all.

Think I might just go with a set of uno turbo wheels. will save me the hassel of the 'damn it i hate 4x98' drama. ;\ And will cost me alot less than what I was planning to spend on my wheels. : )

Who here has gotten their springs compressed? I heard, that they compress 2 springs for $120 (4 for $240.. ) in auckland. That made a few light bulbs switch on in my head, as I am not too much a fan of cutting springs... seems too... I dont know. Rugged. : P
How much do you reccomend a uno should be lowered by. Their so god damn HIGH! :| !

Yep, those are the wheels. Wow, even looks like the side of my garage, I was confused for a moment :)

I like the way you say 'only 15's, not chrome, nothing special'... Of course they're special, they're proper Alfa wheels! :D Having chrome 18" wheels doesn't make them special - at least not in my mind...

However I'm with you in that I wouldn't pay $1200. I paid SteveNZ just $650 for four 15" converted-to-98pcd wheels with good 195/45 tyres.

I bought a set of lowering springs in South Africa (local brand, Koenic with a 'c') for just NZ$120. However, your 'compressed' idea sounds reasonable. I think that would leave the rate of the spring unaffected, so they should still work with standard shocks. You might like to get a second opinion on your shocks if you're in doubt about them, though. Repco sells Munroe Reflex (also Autolign) at a reasonable price.

As I said somewhere else, the Uno is designed to carry up to five people across rough, paved Roman roads. You can probably lose about 50mm off the height and still have a tolerable ride, since I wouldn't exactly call the standard Uno ride quality 'luxurious'...

Where in Auckland are you?
-Alex

Yeah-nah said:

Do these wheels come both in 13" and 14" dia? I once have found 3 of them (4th was broken) but the guy at the scrapyard told me that there were 14" and wouldn't do the job (as I'm looking for 13").

Anywayz, it would be lovely to have them on my Duna but I can't find them in other scrappies in Greece. All I've found are on cars and I can't just go to the owner asking him to trade his wheels for my steelies. :(

Does anybody know what the postage costs are to send 4 of them in Greece from... let's say UK?

alexGS said:
Yep, those are the wheels. Wow, even looks like the side of my garage, I was confused for a moment :)

I like the way you say 'only 15's, not chrome, nothing special'... Of course they're special, they're proper Alfa wheels! :D Having chrome 18" wheels doesn't make them special - at least not in my mind...

However I'm with you in that I wouldn't pay $1200. I paid SteveNZ just $650 for four 15" converted-to-98pcd wheels with good 195/45 tyres.

I bought a set of lowering springs in South Africa (local brand, Koenic with a 'c') for just NZ$120. However, your 'compressed' idea sounds reasonable. I think that would leave the rate of the spring unaffected, so they should still work with standard shocks. You might like to get a second opinion on your shocks if you're in doubt about them, though. Repco sells Munroe Reflex (also Autolign) at a reasonable price.

As I said somewhere else, the Uno is designed to carry up to five people across rough, paved Roman roads. You can probably lose about 50mm off the height and still have a tolerable ride, since I wouldn't exactly call the standard Uno ride quality 'luxurious'...

Where in Auckland are you?
-Alex

Yeah, I guess. Original, untouched Alfa wheels would be pretty cool.. but not at that price. ; \

The ride height... is pretty damn high, and yes, I agree with you, is not very luxuriouse.

I heard about the spring compressing a couple weeks ago. Only a few suspention and shock shops do it in auckland. 50mm... that'll sit nicely over the wheel. : ) I think I would have to get shortened shocks for that though, and that costs even more than compressing springs.

- I talked to a guy selling a fiat a few days back, and he was planning to lower it and everything aswell. He said that 45mm should look nice, and wont need the shocks shortened. He also told me that anything much more than 45mm (Ie, 50mm) would need the shocks shortened, cause they simply, wouldnt keep up with the shortened springs.

Im located in the northshore district. :)

the Uno is designed to carry up to five people across rough, paved Roman roads.

FiatYump1_SM.jpg

;P

alexGS said:
Kyriakos - yes, there were 14" wheels of the same (or very similar) appearance, fitted to the Croma Turbo. I can't see any reason why you couldn't put them on an Uno?

-Alex

Because my tyres (165/70-13) are in very good condition (I have them for one year and they have done 6000km) and I don't want to change them for bigger ones to get 14" wheels. ;)

Thanks for the reply and sorry for the off-topic posts.

Yeah-nah - I have 15" wheels on my Uno, and they look just right in my eyes... :)

Those wheels on Trademe, that James pointed out, look great and that's a fair price. Pity I've already got some, or I'd get them myself.

Attached is a pic of perhaps my favourite car ever, my old Uno 60 (bought on Trademe September 2000 for $11). I was 20 at the time. As you can see, I gave it a cheap respray in a rather matt white ('toothpaste white') lacquer. In the pic it is wearing Lancia Beta alloy wheels (I think they were $150 for the set) with 185/60/14 tyres.

It's important to note some decidedly-Chavish features :)
- Exhaust tip (for the extra 5bhp)
- Wipers painted metallic blue (with blue silicone blade that doesn't work as well as a rubber blade)
- Instrument cluster top painted metallic blue, shiny so that it reflects in the windscreen
- Rear light lenses painted inside with black vinyl paint - makes the lights too dim to see in the sunlight, so it's all good!

The features you don't see are perhaps more exciting:
- Worn gearbox internals (probably partly-busted synchro) meaning a strange soggy feeling with going from third to fourth
- Camshaft change to 128 Coupe cam (for a REAL extra 5bhp)
- Wire netting-and-filler repair to the 5cm hole in the left roof rail, above the door
- New piston rings - to avoid that smoky tang

-Alex

Attachments

• OldUno60.jpg
    OldUno60.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Back