Technical Gearbox Woes.

Currently reading:
Technical Gearbox Woes.

Been told that the gearbox is shagged by a local clutch/gearbox place.
We've also been told thats its going to be "three figures"

Great. Anywhere between £100 and £999.

What are our options, should we look for a recon box, get ours re-done or just replace. Would it be worth going 6spd, or even dump the existing engine/box in favour of a larger 1242 engine?

Help!

We had parked up. Working fine.

Came back about 20mins later, Wouldn't engage reverse.

Took it through its gears, wouldn't engage 5th or reverse.

After brute force and wiggling, I managed to find 5th. Got the car home, jacked it up and messed about. Still no reverse.

That morning, the car had been at Hawleys Tyres for a new front passenger tyre, after the missus had obliterated the old one on a pothole.

Anyway, all being well...My astra should be sold in about 2 hours. So I'm quite tempted by a 1242 conversion...

I've tried fiddling with the cable (pulling on it at the lever end) and not been able to find it. Also, I've tried moving the mechanism at the box and can't find reverse. However. That may just be me.

I've tried fiddling with the cable (pulling on it at the lever end) and not been able to find it. Also, I've tried moving the mechanism at the box and can't find reverse. However. That may just be me.

If the reverse inhibitor cable has gone, you won't be able to get reverse at the box or lever end. I think they're 15 quid or so. Worth a try?

guy at the garage said if you separate everything, it all works until it gets to the box.

I tried pulling the inhibiter whilst trying to select reverse. I don't think its the cable unfortunatly.

:(

guy at the garage said if you separate everything, it all works until it gets to the box.

I tried pulling the inhibiter whilst trying to select reverse. I don't think its the cable unfortunatly.

:(

Ultimately, it's your money. In my experience, gearboxes fail noisily over a period of time and it's pretty obvious something is about to break big style. They don't suddenly fall to bits while doing the shopping........;)

If I unbolt the inhibiter from the box end, would that bypass the need for a cable. Purely to test, not to run like that?

Yes.
Also, put the car in any gear you can, push the clutch in and start the car.
If the car starts to move then it's clutch problems.

Last edited:
Back