Technical Gear Box Oil

Currently reading:
Technical Gear Box Oil

As Argo has said use the GL5 spec ..if you cant get it in hellfrauds then you could always get it from fiat..:idea:

hey, ive got a trolly jack and axel stands, coz ive got to check out a problem with my exhaust aswell (when its up to temperature it makes a slight blowing noise from the front half of the pipe work, most noticable when im up and driving, fuel economy is about 30 mpg and throttle response seems to have decreased a bit too, any advice would be very helfpul) but im not overly sure where to jack it up from and where to put the axel stands, i just assumed the trolly jack went under the car and made contact with the centre of the axel and the axel stands went to the left and right of it, cradling the axel, but after looking under there it was clear that no pole like axel was vissible which is what i was expecting, how am i ment to use the tools properly?

I always positioned a trolley jack under the lower arm and it looks as if [from the blowing] another exhaust thread is in the making..bugger another flexi joint is scuppered..:D

sorry, im not that great mechanically, the lower arm? i looked under and just off from the wheels are like largish almost triangula pnaels of metal, are these what your refering to? Yeh i did post on another thread about the exhaust, it only does it it seems when the exhaist is hot, when i first start my car i sounds sweet as a nut, when i get home from wrk after driving a good few mile on dual carriage ways i get home and it sounds like a crappy van lol. also when i drive down the hill to my house it makes slight popping noises, also when i look under i can see war rippling air arround the bed where the pipe goes up into the engine bay. I took it to a garage once and they said they couldn,t find a hole, all they did was put there hand over the tail pipe to hear for the hole. i asked fiat to look over it in the service, they said all they found was my heat shield was amiss so they fixed it. I think it could be a crapy weld or something, but i have no idea how to pin it down as i can't even get under for a good look, if i could i would use that putty to smear over it.

Last edited:
Lower suspension arm is this..

No doubt whats happening at the moment is when the car is cold the split/crack in the flexi is small and as it warms up expansion is taking place and it starts to blow ..while under the car next time have a look to see if you can spot soot on the flexi ..sure sign its a gonna..:(

Edit..see the round section on the arm thats where you stick the jack under..[nice and solid]

Last edited:
ok cheers, the flexipart is the part that looks like a cylinder made from hashed metal? kinda gld in colour. I spoke to some one else on here who had replaced this part by cutting out the old and welding in a new one, it looks like some one has done that to min, i'll try and get some pucs up. Also i editted my last post before you replied sorry, just added a little more detail

ok cheers, the flexipart is the part that looks like a cylinder made from hashed metal? kinda gld in colour. I spoke to some one else on here who had replaced this part by cutting out the old and welding in a new one, it looks like some one has done that to min, i'll try and get some pucs up. Also i editted my last post before you replied sorry, just added a little more detail

Big black stilo had the same problem on his and put up a thread on it title FOA PNL..goes off and looks..:p

There you go..good to you today..lol

https://www.fiatforum.com/stilo/63676-blowing-exhaust.html

And your on that thread..

Last edited:
lol, cheers, you have been good to me today. so if i cack it up on the lower arms, can i put the axel stands anywhere?

Axle stands under chassis member as near as possible to the jack..you only cack yourself if it comes down of the jack :)

You should just be able to get away with jacking up the one side [gear box side] locate the axle stand as near as possible to the jack roughly in line with where the original jack would go ..chassis rail is box section running through each side of the floor..then let the jack down onto the axle stand very very carefully once located jack up the jack again until it just bites under the suspension arm..locate the jack under the round part of the arm as seen on the right of the pic in this thread..:)

You might have to jack up to remove the drain plug first to drain oil and let the car back down to flat position to make sure all the oil is out of the box..then jack back up and screw the drain plug back in and proceed with the filling..make sure you can remove the filler plug first through before you drain it [for obvious reasons]:D

I think thats all..:)

lol, cheers, i'll try n give it a go tommorow or next week end if the weathers okay, thanks for your help

No probs just take your time ..think ahead at what your doing and I'm sure you will be fine..make sure the jack and stand is safe and secure before proceeding with the job..

GOOD LUCK..(y)

Edit Just realised you are a welsh member where you to..?

Last edited:
just to recap a second, where i put the axel stands, you said in line with where the original jacking point is? thats like 40cms along the sills away from the wheel, so the trolly jack goes under the car, behind the wheel to that lower arm, and the jack goes further down the belly of the car?

i live arround pontypool, not that far from Newport.

cheers

For starters, jack up the car - any way you like. I always use a garage jack with a piece of wood in between. Now, if you look just behind the wheel (on the jacked side) underneath the car, just inches from the wheel arch you will find some garage jacking points. They are pretty close when you bend down (not under) to look. These are 100% chassis and powder coated the same color as the rest of the car. They have a hole in the center, which might be 1,5" or so. The whole area is appx. 10 cm (4") and is well suited for an axle stand.

Do not ever think about putting your head under the car while on the jack... :eek:

Morten.

Last edited:
  • Thanks
Reactions: PNL
just to recap a second, where i put the axel stands, you said in line with where the original jacking point is? thats like 40cms along the sills away from the wheel, so the trolly jack goes under the car, behind the wheel to that lower arm, and the jack goes further down the belly of the car?

i live arround pontypool, not that far from Newport.

cheers

And I live in cardiff which is to far from Pontypool..:p

Back