Technical Geachange control rod fitment

Currently reading:
Technical Geachange control rod fitment

Lonwabo

Greetings to you all, guys. I am new in the forum and already bugging.
question is: how to fit the uno 1100 gearchange control rod, bear in mind I am a novice so a step by step will be appreciated. I bought the bush set and there eleven pieces that I can't figure out which piece goes were.

your assistance will be appreciated.

regards,
Lonwabo

Might be a silly question, but can you just not see how they fit on now, then make it look like that with the new ones?

I know there are ball and socket joints....

Might be a silly question, but can you just not see how they fit on now, then make it look like that with the new ones?

I know there are ball and socket joints....
No. the bush fell off while driving on the one and I'm not sure if the second one fits the same.Had a look and could not figure out. Thanks for the reply which brings a second question in mind. Is it possible that the set of bushes I bought is for the two rods? please excuse me for the silly question but I am a complete novice!

It's normal to have many pieces left over after you fit one of those kits. They tend to supply bits to fit rare models/versions and sometimes not even the Uno at all.

The ball sockets on the ends of the rods are important to replace if the rods fell off, obviously. You'll need a vise or some locking-grip pliers (Vise grips) to squeeze those into place (can be really difficult; you might like to try heating the plastic to soften it). A little grease helps, as well. Use the grease available for brakes or rubber components.

The 'top hat'-shaped bushes are for the gearlever itself and they are important to reduce the slackness in the lever. It is just about possible to replace the bushes by working down by the sides of the lever, inside the car, but it is probably a lot easier to get yourself a 10mm socket and get under the car - unbolt the four nuts that hold the gearlever and rubber cover in place and drop the whole assembly.

You'll probably find the rubber cover to be all torn up, but this doesn't really matter (it tends to stay quite dry under the centre of the car). Repair it with duct-tape if you like.

This is all assuming that you have the type of gearchange with the two rods under the car, which most Unos do, particularly the FIRE-engine versions up to 1992 in the UK and (I think) all years in South Africa, because I don't think the later type of gearbox with the push-down-to-select-reverse gearlever was ever fitted in SA. Some pictures of what you have might be nice if you can manage it? :)

Some 1301cc models (early Turbo, 70) have a slightly different adaptation with a cross-link and only one connection to the gearbox; that cross-link won't be included with the kit, so you may have to buy that as an extra part if it is loose. Then, later Mk1 Turbo and 70SX models have a completely different linkage with the rods inside the car, links mounted on the steering rack housing, and the gearlever mounted on a sturdy balljoint. I can't remember if that might be the type fitted to the Uno Pacer 1372cc in SA (which is basically a 'Mk2' 70SX model). I don't think it is, I think that car still has the two-rod linkage. But if you seem to be looking at completely the wrong bits in your kit, it's possible you have the kit for the 1372cc version and not the 999cc/1108cc FIRE that you have.

-Alex

Last edited:
This is all assuming that you have the type of gearchange with the two rods under the car, which most Unos do, particularly the FIRE-engine versions up to 1992 in the UK and (I think) all years in South Africa, because I don't think the later type of gearbox with the push-down-to-select-reverse gearlever was ever fitted in SA. Some pictures of what you have might be nice if you can manage it? :)

My 1993 FIRE and my newly aquired 1999 Mia both work without "push down to select reverse" .

My 1993 FIRE and my newly aquired 1999 Mia both work without "push down to select reverse" .

In that case you most probably have the two rod under car gear change mechanism. Reverse is selected by pulling the gear lever to the right and down, effectively below 5th gear. As Alex says, the bush kit probably comes with extra bushes/ parts to cover all models. You just need to change the parts that are relevant to yours (y)

Back