General Future classic or cheap banger?

Currently reading:
General Future classic or cheap banger?

Hi guys

I'm thinking of may be purchasing an old Cinq (in good to very good condition) as a future classic. I know it probably seems a bit too soon but the cinq is 20 odd years old so getting close I suppose.

Bit of a fan of its '90's take on the Italian city car and its charm. More of a fan of the Cinq than the seicento too.

Which model would you recommend? Is the Sporting a better bet or something simple like an S?

Is there anything specific to look out for? Any problem areas etc?

Thanks in advance

Bit of a fan of its '90's take on the Italian city car and its charm. More of a fan of the Cinq than the seicento too.

Which model would you recommend? Is the Sporting a better bet or something simple like an S?

Thanks in advance

Get a Sporting, look at the Uno, Uno Turbos worth more than an ordinary Uno.

I think you'll have to wait a while for the 'classic' status, I have a mk2 Panda (1986 - 1995) and people barely regard it as a classic.

It appears that classics are down to rarity, as they get few and far between on the road they become regarded as classics. There is no set formula. Even the current 500 is being touted as a future classic and thats still in production. In my opinion when the smaller cars stop being picked as first cars by young drivers then they are starting on the road to classic status. Then the unmodified, unmolested cars will start being sought after by enthusiasts and will move into pre-classic status.

I had a Cinq Sporting, it was black and they weren't that well made but it was fun.

If I had to choose one, I'd say metallic blue Sporting.

It appears that classics are down to rarity, as they get few and far between on the road they become regarded as classics. There is no set formula. Even the current 500 is being touted as a future classic and thats still in production. In my opinion when the smaller cars stop being picked as first cars by young drivers then they are starting on the road to classic status. Then the unmodified, unmolested cars will start being sought after by enthusiasts and will move into pre-classic status.

I've pondered the same question. But one things for certain - the way the guys on this forum go at them there aren't going to be many unmolested ones left!

Modified = molested?

You two even own a cinquecento/seicento ?

Ming

No I don't but thats not the point. Talking generally about classic cars, the ones that are desirable are the unmodified/unmolested ones, and to answer your next question, yes I have owned and modified cars. It is a misconception that a modified car gets more money when you sell it. IT DOESN'T, unless you find someone who likes exactly the same mods as you, you will never get your money back and collectors will shy away because they want originals (S/S replacement exhausts are acceptable mods to classic car enthusiaists but they would prefer stock).

I am not saying modifying is a bad thing just that people buying a 'classic' want an original car. 95% of cars at a Classic car show are original unmolested cars, the rest are hot rods/rally cars/specials.

Modified = molested?

You two even own a cinquecento/seicento ?

Ming

It's only a figure of speech!

As soon as we get hold of something else for daily transport the Sei will be getting molested out of all recognition.

It appears that classics are down to rarity, as they get few and far between on the road they become regarded as classics.
A very true point, harking back to Panda's the Mk1 (1980 - 1986) is very rare now and good models go for a few thousand, as opposed to Mk2's, which aren't exactly common but theres significantly more of them, that go for anything from a few hundred up to about £1k depending on condition.

Last edited:
Well it's not only rarity and age I think the "x factor" in deciding classic or banger is desirability.

I just bought a very rare car for only a couple of hundred quid but no way would I describe it as a classic, nor would I call my Panda mk2 one.

To me they are cheap 80's-90's cars used for what cars are meant for, daily use, not garaged, not wrapped in cotton wool, just something quirky and interesting to drive about just for the hell of it. My Panda isn't standard, I like it being a little different even at shows.

They put a smile on my face and get the odd double take and I never pass another one on my travels unless it's to a meet :)

On t'other hand, some mods do seem to increase the value, unless we're talking concours (in which case, non factory mods are a no-no).

Sensibly modded 105 series Alfas are a good case in point, I don't think J333EVO has ever made a loss on a car (sensible mods, the eye of a graphic designer -- or two, and canny buying), etc. Although if you factored labour in, you'd have a different conclusion.

In all that, you can't disregard the joy/fun factor.

On t'other hand, some mods do seem to increase the value, unless we're talking concours (in which case, non factory mods are a no-no).
I agree with this as well, sensible mods can increase a cars value somewhat, for example in my Mk2 Panda the front seats are from a Sei Sporting which are much more supporting and slightly comfier than the original seats, but they don't look out of place. However my go faster stripes and lowered suspension probably don't do anything for the value of the car...

Personally I think theres a place for OEM+ modified cars, when the cars are 'upgraded' with modern suitable replacement parts like seats and wheels etc, where it takes a second glance to work out whats 'not quite right' about a car. Vern has a classic Panda with Alfa seats in and its how I imagine an upmarket Panda would have looked back in the day. Of course a purist would say its not a collectable car any more, which may be true but it is more usable as a daily driver.

That being said, it will be the ones that are lightly/unmodified that make it into the classic car status as they are the ones that will be stashed away in the back of garages/lock ups and will remind folks of the ones they saw as young people.

well i'm gonna be the odd one out here and say a classic is a 30+ year old car, desirable or not, rare or not. Doing it any other way and you are bringing opinion into the equation and as we all know, we like one thing the next person doesn't and vice versa. I don't like old mercs but does that make them not a classic? hardly.

So cinqs aren't quite there yet and when we do get to 30 years then an unmolested or oem+ ones will be a very rare thing indeed.

Early panda's, by my theory, are now classic cars but not all of them.

My Punto GT is becoming very rare now and i see the prices of them are starting to go up for decent not chavved up ones but it also is not a classic at all.

just to add to that, the 30 years i did not just make up. Once upon a time to have free road tax your car had to be 30+ years old until one day those that are in charge decided this was no good as there will always be people not paying so they decided from that from that moment (in 2003) that the year would stop being a rolling 30 years and became fixed. So its gotta be pre-1973 now rather than 30 years to not have to pay road tax. Not that any of that really matters, just that's where 30 years came from.

Last edited:
Back