Technical Fuse F3 Keeps Blowing

Currently reading:
Technical Fuse F3 Keeps Blowing

So finally i arrived to understand that the problem was the starter motor.
I replaced it by my self using the video guide of this outube video:
that is exactly like for my engine car tat is the Fiat Croma 1.9 Diesel Multijet 120cv 88kW.

link:
How to remove/replace the starter motor - 1.9 cdti/JTDm - Zafira, Astra, Vectra, Alfa Romeo, Fiat,

[ame="https://youtu.be/tCwkidpfacc"]https://youtu.be/tCwkidpfacc[/ame]

Here in Italy, i decided to bought this
REGENERATED STARTER MOTOR For Fiat Croma Ii MAGNETI MARELLI (944280177900)

Manufacturer: MAGNETI MARELLI Starter
Number of article: 944280177900
Rated Power [kW]: 2
Voltage [V]: 12
Number of Teeth: 9
Rotation Direction: Clockwise rotation
Number of mounting bores: 3
Number of Bores: 3
Clamp: 30 (M8)
Position / Degree: li 37
TecDoc Engine Number: 939 A1.000
Item number: 944280177900
Manufacturer part number: 944280177900
Manufacturer: MAGNETI MARELLI
EAN number: 8001063525761
Condition : Remanufactured

At first, I located the starter motor and disconnected the battery. Then I disconnected the starter's electrical connections. So I reconnected the battery. I tried to start the car and I verified that the F3 fuse no longer burned with the starter disconnected. So the cause of the burning of the fuse was the starter motor at 100% .

So I proceeded to replace it, following the directions of the youtube video.

It was not easy because I had to work both under the engine of the car and from above lying on top of the engine to get to the starter motor.

It took me about 6 hours because I don't have a mechanic's bridge.

I recommend doing it only to those who have MUCH manual skills with mechanical work but also to those who are physically fit because it is very tiring :)(y):slayer:

I recommend doing it only to those who have MUCH manual skills with mechanical work but also to those who are physically fit because it is very tiring :)(y):slayer:

Well Done,
Thank you for sharing the solution. Obviously the solenoid in your starter was faulty, possibly a stuck hold contact.
Did th car start OK? assume the fuse blew when the starter turned.
You are lucky the relay in the steering lock ontrol unir (M089) was not damaged.

Robert G8RPI.

Well Done,
Thank you for sharing the solution. Obviously the solenoid in your starter was faulty, possibly a stuck hold contact.
Did th car start OK? assume the fuse blew when the starter turned.
You are lucky the relay in the steering lock ontrol unir (M089) was not damaged.

Robert G8RPI.

Thanks to all of you, this UK Fiat Forum and his community is really much more useful compared to te Italian Fiat Forum: i have been reading and found here for years solutions to my mechanics problems :worship:

About the starter, i didn't ispect the real cause of his faulty, first of all becuase i preferred to change it with a remanufactured one and for second reason becuase i don't know how to ispect it. Notice that i paid the branded Magneti Marelli remanufactured one about 100 euro, but here in Italy, you can also buy a new one but not branded, always at the Rated Power of 2 kW, for the same price: that it's not so much expansive in my opinion. So you can directly buy another starter instead of wasting time inspecting the broken and old one and repairing it :devil: (y)

And finally, YES .. even if the car had been stopped for a few months, it turned on immediately on the first attempt... :D
and SURE, like you said, i was VERY VERY lucky that the steering lock control unit (M089) (NBS) was good ;):cool::p

Bye bye

Last edited:

Did not do the starter motor on my Croma but did do the alternator, springs and some other stuff including cam belt changes etc. and I have to agree and note that in my experience of 47 years of working my cars ( mainly Fiats but also include Singer Chamois, Ford Cortina and Triumph Spitfire) one's fitness, dexterity and strength, even for the younger ones among us, need to be far higher than in times gone by.

Can't recall what garage labour rates were 47 years ago but many of us go into car maintenance due to affordability and of course pride/passion in our vehicles.

These days with major brand main dealers charging £100+ PLUS VAT then that drive we had all those years ago is as strong as ever. Garages prices have gone up, quality has gone down, and *sadly* for many of us our ageing bodies are just getting over challenged.

It is sad but I can see (possibly for some of us older bods) that lease hire and change every 3 or 5 years for our every days cars is on the cars and and we reserve our pride, passion, energies and quality attention to our older prized classics.

Have been wanting to do a 48K/50K full service, cam belt, water pump, etc change on our Barchetta for the last month, and my 500X is due for its 4 years service but some physical/injury issues have put both on hold. Gets tougher as you get older :D

Hi!
I have the same problem, but it blows fuse F3 when I turn the key to On position, not to Start Position. Not everytime, it works for a few days then dies.

Back