Technical Funny Noises

Currently reading:
Technical Funny Noises

kincaidston

I seem to be getting an intermittent noise from my 60S.. it sounds like a sort of oscillating high pitched noise coming from the front if it occurs at high speed and a lower pitched noise if at low speed...

No real factor that starts it off but some type of bumps seen to set it off and it has occured twice on almost full lock of the steering when turning to the right...

it has me baffled because it really isn't there all the time only sometimes but it is annoying so if anyone has any ideas then please share

sounds a bit like the NSF wheel bearing, easyest way too check is too jack up the NSF and spin the wheel as fast as you can whilsed holding onto the bottom of the coil spring.
you should be able too feel any roughness in the bearing amplified through the spring in the form of vibrations.

that was my vague suspicion though any reason why i can drive for miles without anything and then suddenly i'll hear something then it'll go away again.. any idea of cost to replace?

Hello and Happy New Year. I'm still having problems with the car. I've filled the gearbox with oil, and repaired the leek; it was a loose jubilee clip on the rubber part. So I fixed that. Without the need for a gear box change but it's still squealing when I press the gas pedal. It sounds to be coming from the engine block it's self. It is fine when just ticking over, but even a few revs and it squeals. I have an oil leak from the tappet cover gasket, but there is plenty of oil in the system as I keep topping it up. I've ordered a new gasket from EBay but will replacing a rubber seal/gasket and cleaning the tappets solve the squealing? Or is it the end for this engine?

Back