Technical Fuel Injector spraying fuel all over the place!

Currently reading:
Technical Fuel Injector spraying fuel all over the place!

maniacbravo

Hey guys,

My car smelt really bad of diesel last night, today I took the engine cover off and some sort of fitting that goes into the engine seems to be spraying diesel all over the place, any easy/temporary fix until I can see a proper mechanic?

The whole engine bay without the engine cover

WP_000183_zpsa0aed39c.jpg

the point where fuel is spraying from, the exact point is the small knob looking thing at the bottom of the injector, I believe a pipe is supposed to be in there :|

WP_000182_zpsf0ca6d3a.jpg

another shot

WP_000179_zps967c2b96.jpg

WP_000175_zps0bae7479.jpg

WP_000174_zps89c67ee4.jpg

it doesn't look like it is leaking from the top (as it would do if the nut was a little loose), but you can try using an open ended 17mm spanner to just nip up the injector nut, they dont need to be dead tight, so the rotten access angle is not a problem, just feed the spanner through the gap between the rocker cover and the cooling circuit hard pipe that runs across the engine.
i would also check the injector run off pipe (or whatever it's called i forget, the rubber one) for splits and cracks, if nothing shows up, clean up as much as you can before running the engine and having a look to see if you can find where it's leaking from (be careful, high pressure diesel can be fatal).
good luck
allan

its leaking from the bottom of the blank cap, I checked it and its broken (the blank rubber thing. Is it an easy fix as removing the old rubber blank, buying a new one and fitting it in place?

i've never actually removed one of those so i'm afraid i can't advise further without guessing.

if i was to guess though, i would say yes, it should be as easy as you describe, it's not a high pressure line so no worries. you might be able to pick one up new from a fiat dealership, if not, im sure a scrapyard will have a few kicking around.

Depending on how badly broken the old one is, I would also be tempted to just refit it with a squirt of diesel resistant silicone sealant around the base of the nipple.

a new £0.50 blank and 5 minutes of work seems to have solved the problem, I am still testing to see if the problem is completely gone or somewhere else is leaking, but I cannot see any more spraying and can barely smell the fuel, the little I can smell is from the left over diesel until it completely evaporates.

Back