General Fuel Economy

Currently reading:
General Fuel Economy

official figures and real world are two different thing from my experience :)

depends how you drive

What will make a difference is the miles per gallon. Which is another of the 500's strong points: it's big on economy. The 1.2-litre has an official combined fuel consumption of 55.4mpg (119g/km CO2 with £35 road tax). However, a week's hard driving, including a day spent in central London, saw a test average of 43.9mpg. Less spirited driving soon saw that climb to 55.3mpg. Urban and extra-urban official figures are 44.1 and 65.7mpg
respectively.

http://www.motorbar.co.uk/500lounge12_0309.htm

That's good. I'm averaging 30mpg at the moment in a 1.4 petrol.

Really! :eek: Picked mine up on Saturday, it's now got just shy of 100 miles on it and I'm getting 42 mpg in a 1.4. If it drops to 30mpg, I may just switch back to the Type-R.

I think Fiat have over-egged the official figures, my 1.2 lounge has averaged 47.6 over 3200 miles travelled so far. Whatever car I have owned, I have always managed to get near the official figures but a gentle 200 mile motorway run did 53.3. A good figure but nowhere near extra urban and below combined too.I never exceeded 70mph.

Perhaps I am expecting too much, maybe the car needs longer to run in. The car seems slightly more thirsty than when I got it at the end of october. Cold weather could be a factor. Most of my journeys are on motorways.

Over my first 80 miles or so in my 1.2 lounge, the trip computer shows around 36mpg, which isn't too bad, if the trip is anywhere near right.
My Multipla a few years back was pessimistic and my Seat Altea is optimistic, both by about 5mpg. How do others find the computer accuracy compared with real world brim to brim calculations?

I think Fiat have over-egged the official figures, my 1.2 lounge has averaged 47.6 over 3200 miles travelled so far. Whatever car I have owned, I have always managed to get near the official figures but a gentle 200 mile motorway run did 53.3. A good figure but nowhere near extra urban and below combined too.I never exceeded 70mph.

Perhaps I am expecting too much, maybe the car needs longer to run in. The car seems slightly more thirsty than when I got it at the end of october. Cold weather could be a factor. Most of my journeys are on motorways.

A few things to consider. Firstly the Extra urban consumption figures are done at 56mph or something silly, the faster you go the more wind resistance and the lower your consumption. Your car is fairly new so consumption figures will be high. In cold weather consumption will go up as well because the heat for your heater comes from burning petrol and also your car is least efficient when it's cold so when you start off your economy figures will be truly terrible.

A few things to consider. Firstly the Extra urban consumption figures are done at 56mph or something silly, the faster you go the more wind resistance and the lower your consumption. Your car is fairly new so consumption figures will be high. In cold weather consumption will go up as well because the heat for your heater comes from burning petrol and also your car is least efficient when it's cold so when you start off your economy figures will be truly terrible.

The heat for for heater is always there after warm up , summer or winter, so that is not a fuel issue, possibly the blower might make a tiny difference, but that gets used in the summer for ventilation also.

Last edited:
The heat for for heater is always there after warm up , summer or winter, so that is not a fuel issue, possibly the blower might make a tiny difference, but that gets used in the summer for ventilation also.

I don't think you understand what I mean. What I mean is that to heat the coolant to heat up the matrix the car has to burn extra fuel in winter because when it's cold the heater cools down the coolant and the engine needs to work harder to get up to operating temperature and keep itself there.

I regularly get 72mpg over 500 mile distance. Best I got was an average of 79.3mpg over 500 miles. Its a combination of motorway and urban driving.

Almost 5000 miles on the clock now.

Back