Technical Fuel consumption

Currently reading:
Technical Fuel consumption

Hi, £70.00 for a full tank? went to Manchester and back and now on red? 400 miles = 33 miles to the gallon, average 60-70 mph...Is this good or do I need to look for an issue?

33 mpg out of a 20v N/A is a decent average, but its not brilliant if you've only been cruising at a steady 60-70

I get a bit less than that as an average out of my mad-modded turbo, but at a gentle (sub-80) cruise, I get an easy 35mpg, with a best ever of 43mpg

Worst was 7.9mpg :eek:

33 mpg out of a 20v N/A is a decent average, but its not brilliant if you've only been cruising at a steady 60-70

I get a bit less than that as an average out of my mad-modded turbo, but at a gentle (sub-80) cruise, I get an easy 35mpg, with a best ever of 43mpg

Worst was 7.9mpg :eek:
7.9 !!! lol, sounds like fun. So 33 mpg not too bad. If there was a reason for not getting a little more mpg, any ideas on what it could be? no fuel leek, been serviced and runs great. Somebody mentioned on another post about a lambda sensor failure could increase fuel consumption??? Thanks

7.9 !!! lol, sounds like fun. So 33 mpg not too bad. If there was a reason for not getting a little more mpg, any ideas on what it could be? no fuel leek, been serviced and runs great. Somebody mentioned on another post about a lambda sensor failure could increase fuel consumption??? Thanks
33 MPG is fine so stop worrying.
You are looking for a problem that is not there.
A faulty lambda would be picked up at MOT time with high emissions

Last edited:
33 MPG is fine so stop worrying.
You are looking for a problem that is not there.
A faulty lambda would be picked up at MOT time with high emissions
Your'e right ! I'll wait and see what the emmisions test is like when the mot is due next month. You just read so much about certain issues and it gets your mind working overtime. Thanks

havent filled my coop to the brim since last year ( i darent), last time was about £68 (those were the days!!) and got about 460 miles ish.Work commute 12 mile round trip rarely get above 60mph..though probably still on choke when i arrive.Other times fairly feather-footed..until some chav in a "modified" 2 tonne Saxo fancies his chances. Theres that and the orgasmic sound on acceleration, if it sounded like my old Marea 155 i could probably double the MPG.

I can't remember the last time I brimmed any car of my own. You're losing fuel carrying round that extra weight, 50 litres must be heavy. My coop lives in the 1/4 tank territory almost permanently :D

I can't remember the last time I brimmed any car of my own. You're losing fuel carrying round that extra weight, 50 litres must be heavy. My coop lives in the 1/4 tank territory almost permanently :D
I usually do the same. But on a long run I thought it best to fill up from home (£127.9) because it's motorway all the way. We all know how much they like to charge for fuel at the services...

Filled mine up from empty. £70. Ouch.
Hi, just been to sainsburys to fuel up and I was surprised to see the fuel prices...£127.9 REG 95 £130.9 97 HO so I thought I would give the HO there a try. Most garages are charging £135.9 for HO so how can sainsburys sell it so cheap? Is it any good???I'll let you know. I usually only use shell HO but had to go shopping:( and I was on empty, like my wallet is now. I HATE GROCERY SHOPPING !!!

Last edited:
I always fill to brim as I do a lot of miles and really can't be bothered to stop and fill all the time.
I am about to buy another car as my work car so that may change. ;)

Be putting my one back on the road next month me thinks but with the crazy price of fuel,may end up just using it on weekends and keeping the puma for work.

Hi, well after trying the HO fuel from sainsburys, I must say, it's not bad. Good consumption and good acceleration. Not sure if I'll use it all the time as I usually use Shell HO.

Back