Front wipers

Currently reading:
Front wipers

K

Kev

Got two bravos here going strong, but only seem to come here when I need something, hope you dont mind? lol

My front wipers stopped working properly during the ice age around christmas. They'd work on manual (push stalk up) and full speed, but none of the other speeds. And they'd stop wherever you turn them off, not return to the bottom.

Then after a couple of weeks they started working fine again, for about a week, but they're back to operating as above and they've been that way for a while now.

Is there anything I can check out on them before I try to find a new motor or stalk set?

Cheers

Also I'm struggling to actually price/find a wiper motor, incase ones needed. Does anyone know if a punto kit from around the same year fits?

And is this an mot fail? I'm guessing only working at full speed isn't a fail, but maybe the not returning to the down position is?

Ta

Sounds like a problem with the contact box (white) next to the wiper motor. Open it up and clean, lift the contacts and put new grease on them.

sven3.jpg

Members Site ---------My Site

Thanks for that, I've had a go at cleaning the prongs but it didnt make any difference.

Does this video give an idea of whether its the motor or the connectors?

http://tinypic.com/r/2a9zhmu/7

It goes;
1 click down - Nothing
2 clicks down - Nothing
Full speed
1 click back up - really slow
2 clicks back up - same slow speed

Then theres the up clicks that work but dont return. Then a repeat of the above down clicks.

It does the same with the white box connectors connected.

Cant see the video due to it being blocked by my work firewall, but if the same happens with the box connected or not, the electronic board in the white box is shot. Either a unsoldered component, or burned component on the board.

sven3.jpg

Members Site ---------My Site

Managed to have another look today. I tried the motor off the other car and it work, switched the white boxes round no change. So it's definitely the motor itself.

Anyone know if a punto motor is the same fit? Just thinking a punto/stilo/panda one might be easier to find at a scrappy than a Bravo one?

Thanks for the help sven.

2001 hlx jtd, but the motor off our 96 1.4 sx fit fine too. So I'm guessing they're all similar/same.