Technical Front shockies

Currently reading:
Technical Front shockies

I have been looking to replace the front shocks on my 84 70s.

Price in New Zealand is around NZ$200.00 each, does that seem the right price, it seems expensive to me. Is there a place in the UK I can check out.

Rbn

Hello,

I bought two shock-absorbers for IDR 1.075.000,- or maybe US$100

Two shocks, left and right front shock-absorbers Monroe

Just for your reference

Thank you

:)

'rbn' (nice name!) have you tried Autolign?

I agree that $200 each is quite a lot to spend on an Uno - $140 each and $75 each for the back shocks is more what I remember.

Then again I reoiled the shocks in my red 60 - I drilled a hole in the side near the top, tipped the oil out, put in about the same quantity from a top-up pack of Mobil 1 engine oil (0W30), and sealed the hole with a self-tap screw and fibre washer.

The car was much more composed and refined, and actually had a nice soft ride AND positive handling.

We tried this again years later on James Hepburn's race Uno, using full-thickness engine oil, and it didn't work very well at all. The shocks were either solid or totally ineffective.

Anyway, you don't have much to lose by trying (ATF or jack oil is another good choice) and you will have no problems passing a WOF as long as there are no leaks.

-Alex

I have been looking to replace the front shocks on my 84 70s.

Price in New Zealand is around NZ$200.00 each, does that seem the right price, it seems expensive to me. Is there a place in the UK I can check out.

Rbn

In the UK Uno front shockers go for roughly £40 a pair including postage, so yes, that does seem exceptionally expensive!

'rbn' (nice name!) have you tried Autolign?

I agree that $200 each is quite a lot to spend on an Uno - $140 each and $75 each for the back shocks is more what I remember.

Then again I reoiled the shocks in my red 60 - I drilled a hole in the side near the top, tipped the oil out, put in about the same quantity from a top-up pack of Mobil 1 engine oil (0W30), and sealed the hole with a self-tap screw and fibre washer.

The car was much more composed and refined, and actually had a nice soft ride AND positive handling.

-Alex

Everytime I read about that I do chuckle! Its such a brilliant idea, I`d never have thought of it!

Worth pointing out that`ll only work on oil filled shocks, not entirely sure what would happen if you drilled into gas ones, even if they were tired...

In the UK Uno front shockers go for roughly £40 a pair including postage, so yes, that does seem exceptionally expensive!

It's generally the same with any other car parts too... :(

Everytime I read about that I do chuckle! Its such a brilliant idea, I`d never have thought of it!

:D I know it's a bit hoary - like brake fluid made from shampoo in Cuba, but needs must, and there isn't much at stake, as the old shocks are stuffed anyway. Any improvement is welcome... It is important to test the result - too much oil and it will be solid.

Worth pointing out that`ll only work on oil filled shocks, not entirely sure what would happen if you drilled into gas ones, even if they were tired...

Good point, but 'gas' shocks simply have oil plus a gas charge to keep the oil from foaming (the pressure helps to maintain it as a liquid). On an old gas shock the pressure has probably leaked away by now. If not then there will be a hissssss and it might have been best left how it was. It's a good idea to use ATF or jack oil, as both have an anti-foaming agent (silicone) added.

In the early days of the 127 and 128, the shock absorber was actually disassemblable - the top unscrewed and the oil could be replaced. So I can't take credit for the idea ;)

-Alex

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies guys.

I have shocks that are OK, but I was going to put some new ones on the front of the car as I have new ones on the rear.

Anyway I have another issue I have not solved yet, see my Driveshaft boots question.

Back