Technical Front end clonk

Currently reading:
Technical Front end clonk

TheDoctor

I picked up a nearly new 1.4 Active Sport last night, as a present for my Son, and noted the clunking noise from the front-end.

I've had similar noises on other cars in the past and it can sometimes be a loose strut, or strut brace. I remember spotting a few threads on this forum, but would someone care to remind me what the general consensus is on the cause on GPs?

Thanks.

Thanks Chris, that's the other thought I had. I will take a look at the drop links and see if there is any play.

I picked up a nearly new 1.4 Active Sport last night, as a present for my Son, and noted the clunking noise from the front-end.

I've had similar noises on other cars in the past and it can sometimes be a loose strut, or strut brace. I remember spotting a few threads on this forum, but would someone care to remind me what the general consensus is on the cause on GPs?

Thanks.
luckey fregin son

luckey fregin son

I keep telling him that! Anyway I chose a GP as his first car due to its excellent NCAP scores and he liked the shape. So far, so good, it's a little slow, but I'd rather he has a slower car and learns roadcraft (planning ahead, maintaining momentum) and ween him away from feeling able to overtake anything, like I can in our other cars..

I keep telling him that! Anyway I chose a GP as his first car due to its excellent NCAP scores and he liked the shape. So far, so good, it's a little slow, but I'd rather he has a slower car and learns roadcraft (planning ahead, maintaining momentum) and ween him away from feeling able to overtake anything, like I can in our other cars..
(y) My first car was a W reg Punto 1.2 8v with at the most 65bhp so I was in the same boat learn to drive a slow car properly first then progress :).

I'd suggest its the drop links... a common fault, they will be happy to fix under warrenty.... (I've had them done)

lucky kid, i never got a car brought lol, i was just allowed to get a loan in me dad's name lol

lucky kid, i never got a car brought lol, i was just allowed to get a loan in me dad's name lol

It would be completely impossible for him to drive my cars, since they are all Group 20+.

I must say it's been difficult for me to buy a lower engined model in the range but the 1.4 8V is a nice smooth engine and very refined. I am impressed with how well balanced the Punto is, nice and easy to drive and very predictable - an ideal first car really.

i agree it is a great first car, what other cars do you have if you don't mind me asking?

"what other cars do you have if you don't mind me asking?"

tardis-large.jpg

Sorry,couldn't help it:eek:

Welcome to the forum by the way:wave:

Last edited:
You may have seen some of my cars if you read EVO mag (who I work together with every now and again). One of my cars is in this months edition, as part of the Greatest M-cars feature (mine is the M3 CSL). I also run an AMG ML63, latest model RS4 Avant and shortly an R8 amongst others, so I'm a bit indulgent when it comes to cars, but I've owned most of the nice ones over the years.

I never loose appreciation for small cars though, and used to enjoy owning a couple of Smart cars (Brabus ForTwo and Brabus Roadster). One of the things I like about small cars is how good they are relative to their price. Most manufacturers loose money on small cars and you can see why. The more expensive cars although better in extremes, are relatively poor value - you'd expect an AMG Merc that produces 7 times as much power and costs more than 10 times the price of a GPS to be perfect, it isn't though. So enjoy your GPS, it's one of the little gems out there.

Last edited:
I never loose appreciation for small cars though, and used to enjoy owning a couple of Smart cars (Brabus ForTwo and Brabus Roadster). One of the things I like about small cars is how good they are relative to their price. Most manufacturers loose money on small cars and you can see why. The more expensive cars although better in extremes, are relatively poor value - you'd expect an AMG Merc that produces 7 times as much power and costs more than 10 times the price of a GPS to be perfect, it isn't though. So enjoy your GPS, it's one of the little gems out there.

Agree(y)

lol i'll have a look in evo mag now. lol, might be a stupid question but are you a doctor or a millionaire? lol

Back