Technical Front alignment

Currently reading:
Technical Front alignment

Hi all!
I have replaced the front wish-bone and track-rod links. Also torsion-bar rubbers. In the back new shocks, rubbers and trailing-arm.
Tires are as good as new.
So it's time to align the front end.
In theory this is not difficult. Anyone done it recently? String method? Alignment plates? Handy little tricks with levels and blocks of wood?
The specs call for a minimal toe-in. This would mean dead-straight, and then a 1/4 turn on the track-rod (full turn is 1.5mm).
I am not going to concern myself with the caster and cambre.
Any hints, suggestions or stories of how not to do it?
I have had some good drives through Belgium since the work, but I don't won't to spoil my nice tires ;)
grtz
Eric

Hi all!
I have replaced the front wish-bone and track-rod links. Also torsion-bar rubbers. In the back new shocks, rubbers and trailing-arm.
Tires are as good as new.
So it's time to align the front end.
In theory this is not difficult. Anyone done it recently? String method? Alignment plates? Handy little tricks with levels and blocks of wood?
The specs call for a minimal toe-in. This would mean dead-straight, and then a 1/4 turn on the track-rod (full turn is 1.5mm).
I am not going to concern myself with the caster and cambre.
Any hints, suggestions or stories of how not to do it?
I have had some good drives through Belgium since the work, but I don't won't to spoil my nice tires ;)
grtz
Eric
If you haven't altered any threaded track rod ends etc. in theory you have just tightened everything up.
Without a proper alignment gauge it is easy to be a couple of mm out.
You may be able to do a rough guide with a piece of string or tape measure.
As a rough guide if a car "self centres" or corrects to straight ahead too quickly it is excessive tow in and if it wanders and is hard to follow a straight line it is tow out. After it has done a couple of hundred miles I used to be able to put my hand across the tread and feel if it was "scrubbing " a bit like running your hand down a saw blade, the teeth go one way easier than the other. So from the outside pushing your hand across the tread, if easy going in, the tyre is towing in to much and vice versa.
Re camber, if a weighted string held at the top of the wheel rim and there is a gap at the bottom in the same place that is negative camber, which is better for hard cornering.
I used to have a Dunlop castor/camber and Kingpin inclination gauge but sold it as few cars can have that adjusted these days, I still use the Dunlop wheel alignment gauge, old but good.

Thanks!
The track end rods have been replace by counting the rotations off, and then winding the new ones back the same number of turns.
The front end is much tighter and quicker, which is logical. Maybe too quick? That's what I need to find out.
I have 200 kms on the tires since this work, so I will give your 'scrubbing" test a try. I had never heard this 1 before. Nice tid-bit ;)
grtz
ER

Thanks!
The track end rods have been replace by counting the rotations off, and then winding the new ones back the same number of turns.
The front end is much tighter and quicker, which is logical. Maybe too quick? That's what I need to find out.
I have 200 kms on the tires since this work, so I will give your 'scrubbing" test a try. I had never heard this 1 before. Nice tid-bit ;)
grtz
ER
Counting turns is a good general guide, I have done that and also used a pair of dividers to measure the amount of threads showing, but all of that relies on the quality of track rod end replaced. Hence best with alignment gauge.
If as you say it is possibly to quick self centering, as in too much toe in you may be able to feel what I said as in easier pushing your hand across the tread towards the engine and slightly harder coming away. If you hold your hands out in front of you, fingers open, imagine they are the treads of the tyres, then make them slightly face inwards and try rubbing one hand across your finger tips whilst in that position, a bit hard to explain but I could detect it even using my old mechanics hands:)

Back