Technical Flashing seat belt light and engine management light

Currently reading:
Technical Flashing seat belt light and engine management light

Charleen142

When I indicate to turn right, the seat belt light and engine management light flashes on and off too. I took the car to a garage and had a diagnostic test done showing nothing is wrong, doesn’t make sense.
Wondering if this is the start of things going wrong.
Any ideas??

Welcome, your issue has come up before, the fix is simple though not exactly cheap, buy a secondhand display cluster with a mileage LESS THAN yours and swap it over, it will the need hooking up to a laptop to get it talking and to correct the mileage reading, not sure if there is a repair service to fix your old one someone else will be along to advise.

By the way how old is the car, there are certain known issues/part failures that are common, the fix is often cheap if you can do it yourself a lot more if you need to go to the garage.

Last edited:
Hello and welcome to the forum. Sorry to hear about your problem.

If it is the all-too-common instrument cluster fault, there are basically three options:

1) a new cluster

2) a secondhand one from a breaker

3) repairing your existing cluster.

A new cluster lists for around £650; fitting and programming will be on top of that, so a franchised dealer repair won't leave you with much change out of £1000. You can buy a new cluster for a discounted price, here, a donation to the forum will get you another 10% off these prices, but it's still going to be over £400 + fitting and programming, and you'll have to find an independent garage capable of doing this if you don't want to do it yourself.

@typecastboy has swapped quite a few of these and may be able to advise on current availability of secondhand parts and prices, as well as putting you in touch with someone who can repair your existing cluster.

Some folks who are handy with electronics and have competent soldering skills have managed to repair them using parts sourced from the internet, but both availability and price of the necessary parts has become an issue since Brexit.

I'd like to hear what others have to say on the subject, but I'd be leaning toward sending your existing cluster for repair; the main disadvantage is you'll be without the car whilst this is being done.

Last edited:
I've never had one repaired. I have always found one with lower mileage for a decent price and used MultiECUScan to up the mileage to the car.

It's a good opportunity to upgrade to the colour screen rather than that boring orange one.

There are a few things you have to remember though.

Cars before around mid 2010 didn't have start stop, so if yours does, you can't use one from a pre-2010 car. Cars around 2014 up to 2015 have the tyre pressure sensors which have the display on the speedo. So depending on what age your car is, you need to get one from that same time. Post 2016 facelift ones, won't work properly in a Series 3 car.

There's a bloke on the Fiat 500 Owners Club Facebook Page called Chris CFC Fisher. He sells speedos that are zeroed in mileage. Tell him what your mileage is and he will set it to that, or thereabouts. He sells them for £150. It will still require a proxy alignment but at least you don't have to adjust the mileage. You can regularly pick up colour screen ones for around the £200 mark.

If you opt for a second hand one on eBay, just make sure you get the right sort and you may have to ask what the mileage is as the sellers often dont say, and quite often don't know either when you ask. Avoid those as you cannot reduce the mileage.

Last edited:
Back