Styling fitting alloys?

Currently reading:
Styling fitting alloys?

Punto Sam

Hi, just got some 17" alloys, were off a punto before (mk2) and want them on mine. but theres that 'spike' bolt thing that holds the brakes together so what do i need to do with this? as the alloys wont fit with it on...
remove? or will it all fall apart?
or replace it with a normal head bolt?

Cheers

i dont think they are, ive just been out and had a look, taken wheel off and the brakes come loose when you remove the spikey bolts....

can anyone else confirm

The brakes don't come loose, the discs do but they can't fall out or anything.

You can fit a standard bolt in if you want to stop them moving when the wheel's off.

Ok I get what you mean, still need someone elses opinion though, just to be sure as it could be a pretty major thing if we got it wrong!

cheers

cheers guys will do it tonight and take a pic or two ;)

I just dont understand how everything can be fine with them removed as they must be there for a reason!!!

Ok I took your advice and had a go! have to say it didnt go too well really. Firstly, one of the locator bolts was stuck on literally! could not remove it and then started rounding so thats knackered now. So I hacksawed the spike bit off it but the alloy still doesnt sit flush with the brake...will have to be drilled out and tapped I think :(
I also have to wait to get new suspension on the other side at the front as its knackered too. So at the mo ive got alloys on the rear! :bang:

Not too happy really!

you dont cut them off you get mole grips on them.
when you come to do the others note its 12mm spaner not 13

you wont need to drill an re tap it as you dont need it, you can just grind it off flat, take drum off an get the mole grips on the bit that is left sticking out

Last edited:
you dont cut them off you get mole grips on them.
when you come to do the others note its 12mm spaner not 13

you wont need to drill an re tap it as you dont need it, you can just grind it off flat, take drum off an get the mole grips on the bit that is left sticking out

I was using a 12mm spanner! and it wasnt on the rear it was a front one. I might just grind it off flat for now and worry about the part thats left in the hole when the brakes next need doing.

Back