General Fist ducato 2.8 jtd

Currently reading:
General Fist ducato 2.8 jtd

dedwards4460

Hi can anyone help I started my van after 12 weeks being idle it started fine with a jump but I heard a hissing sound from the engine then it cut out has this happened to anyone before ? And what is it and how do I fix it ? Thanks for any tips advice but please help cheers

Maybe try posting on the Ducato section or try another Motorhome forum is all I can suggest 'cause I'm stumped.
:cool:

Hi

Not much to go on, but a hissing sound suggests air being sucked in or blown out where it shouldn't be. I suggest you take a look at all the large diameter air intake hoses for anything split or loose. Anything downstream of the Turbo will be under pressure and more at risk of being blown off.

It's not unknown for mice to nest in the air filter if vehicles are laid up, and the resulting debris gets sucked in, so take the top off the air filter canister and have a check.

Other possibilities for hissing/sizzling noises are small leaks in fuel lines under high pressure. However, normally your nose will tell you straight away if there is a diesel spill in the engine bay somewhere.

Have you tried re-starting ?

My thoughts are similar to those of @Anthony489 above, but at tickover rpm the turbo will have little effect, and I doubt that there will be any significant boost pressure. It is quite possible that a blockage between the air filter and the turbo, would result in a possible vacuum in the intercooler pipes due to the induction of the engine. @IceVovo reported stalling of a 2.8 jtd engine in similar circumstances, with the intercooler pipes collapsing when the engine was started. You cannot see this happening from the driver's seat. In that instance some unknown creature had built a nest in the turbo intake pipe, which had been left open during maintenance work. I can imagine a nesting mouse causing a similar blockage at the air filter outlet.

If the engine is a version with EGR, which is not universal on 2.8 jtd engines, you should check for possible damage to the Mass Air Flow Sensor (Debimeter). Also I would not be too keen to try restarting, due to the possible risk of foreign bodies being drawn into the turbo. Several MH owners have added an anti-rodent mesh to the engine air inlet at the top of the radiator.

I came across the following text which was posted by "Penquin" on the Motorhome Facts Forum. It seems appropriate.

"What a shame that we do not seem to have heard what has been found out, sadly that is a very common practice; identify a problem, join a forum and post it, wait for replies, sort problem out, go on your own way without letting anyone know.

To me, that is a real lost opportunity for learning for all of us, who knows when someone else may have the same problem, seek advice but not hear how successful, or not, that advice actually was."

I came across the following text which was posted by "Penquin" on the Motorhome Facts Forum. It seems appropriate.

"What a shame that we do not seem to have heard what has been found out, sadly that is a very common practice; identify a problem, join a forum and post it, wait for replies, sort problem out, go on your own way without letting anyone know.

To me, that is a real lost opportunity for learning for all of us, who knows when someone else may have the same problem, seek advice but not hear how successful, or not, that advice actually was."
I agree , in some cases the knowledge you guys give, can save an owner £100s in garage costs, so a follow up and thanks all that is asked.:)

Re this Ducato 2.8, my knowledge is from the same Sofim 2.8 used in Iveco Dailys and what has been mentioned re intercooler pipes , air filter blockages is a good starting point, especially if vehicle has been standing for three months, apart from rubbish getting the intake is there any chance of flood water etc.
Assuming all the oil and water levels are normal, nothing has seized from lack of use like a Alternator or water pump with the belt making the noise, I know that wouldn't stop the engine, though a cam belt pulley could if belt broke.
So I would first check with the engine switched off that it will turn using a spanner or socket at least two revolutions normally i.e. nothing hitting and a good sign of compression in the engine, then as has been mentioned remove the large intercooler pipe where it goes into the inlet manifold so if there is something blocking the turbo etc. it won't get swallowed by the engine, then I would try and start it again,( at low speeds the turbo will not be required) if it sounds like it has compression and there are no warning lights on , then I would look to see if fuel is getting to the high pressure pump.
Generally speaking I have found those engines to be very good and reliable, I wish I could have one in a car. Not as economically as modern small high performance units but a lot more sturdy.

Hi can anyone help I started my van after 12 weeks being idle it started fine with a jump but I heard a hissing sound from the engine then it cut out has this happened to anyone before ? And what is it and how do I fix it ? Thanks for any tips advice but please help cheers
I would love to know what the fault was?, in case it happens to mine. (same model),

Back