Technical first start up after changing timing chain

Currently reading:
Technical first start up after changing timing chain

shlaptop

Hello there
I bought this doblo 1.3jtd 16v multijet which had stopped running, on investigation the timing chain tensioner had failed.

I've put on a new chain kit, one new injector & new fuel filter.
Used the timing tools to set the timing (holes in cam and flywheel).

Checked it turned over smoothly by hand, yes and some compression felt.

Now connected up the battery but it wont start, cranks over ok though.

I've got multiecuscan and the rail pressure was up and over the desired value about 370bar.
The faults showing are ABS and preheater circuit. I wouldnt have though these would be necessary to get it running but who knows.

What should I be checking please? Any tips?

Thank you!!

Hello there
I bought this doblo 1.3jtd 16v multijet which had stopped running, on investigation the timing chain tensioner had failed.

I've put on a new chain kit, one new injector & new fuel filter.
Used the timing tools to set the timing (holes in cam and flywheel).

Checked it turned over smoothly by hand, yes and some compression felt.

Now connected up the battery but it wont start, cranks over ok though.

I've got multiecuscan and the rail pressure was up and over the desired value about 370bar.
The faults showing are ABS and preheater circuit. I wouldnt have though these would be necessary to get it running but who knows.

What should I be checking please? Any tips?

Thank you!!
I had a 06 Grande Punto like that , bought with cam chain failure etc. I did take the head off and reseat the valves etc.
As I recall nothing had broken, but the hydraulic tappets had pushed all the oil out so took a while to pump up and work properly.
They are an "interference " engine meaning valves hit pistons when chain breaks or timing wrong, but in my case the tappets pumped up again and worked normally.
Have you checked if the pre heater code is the heater plugs actually not functioning?
Easy start not really good, but might be needed to encourage it into life so it can put oil pressure into the lifters/tappets to allow them to adjust, assuming everything else is good. The choice is yours ;).
By the way I trust a new crank pulley bolt and correctly torqued when timing set etc. as it is a freewheeling pulley, as I expect you know.:)

I had a 06 Grande Punto like that , bought with cam chain failure etc. I did take the head off and reseat the valves etc.
As I recall nothing had broken, but the hydraulic tappets had pushed all the oil out so took a while to pump up and work properly.
They are an "interference " engine meaning valves hit pistons when chain breaks or timing wrong, but in my case the tappets pumped up again and worked normally.
Have you checked if the pre heater code is the heater plugs actually not functioning?
Easy start not really good, but might be needed to encourage it into life so it can put oil pressure into the lifters/tappets to allow them to adjust, assuming everything else is good. The choice is yours ;).
By the way I trust a new crank pulley bolt and correctly torqued when timing set etc. as it is a freewheeling pulley, as I expect you know.:)
Thanks a lot. Yep new crank bolt and torqued up ha ha.
Think I need my other car there with jump leads so I can crank it faster and longer, see how that goes.

I think thast code was heaters not working...hmm i was thinking it would start without them eventually but it is a bit chilly at the moment.

Thanks a lot. Yep new crank bolt and torqued up ha ha.
Think I need my other car there with jump leads so I can crank it faster and longer, see how that goes.

I think thast code was heaters not working...hmm i was thinking it would start without them eventually but it is a bit chilly at the moment.
Yes if heater plugs not 100% with this cold weather and if battery going down, you don't want to overload the starter too much, maybe a gentle wiff of easy start, I have even seen people use hairspray ;).
Once it has been running for a while and settled down, it should be fine.
I hate those free wheeling pulleys, I know they allow more accurate timing, but give me a key way everytime.
I have seen garages replace bent valves on Mazda/Fiesta 1.25s start them up and bend the new set :(. Presumably through not replacing the bolt and torquing it up correctly.

Yes if heater plugs not 100% with this cold weather and if battery going down, you don't want to overload the starter too much, maybe a gentle wiff of easy start, I have even seen people use hairspray ;).
I hate those free wheeling pulleys, I know they allow more accurate timing, but give me a key way everytime.
I have seen garages replace bent valves on Mazda/Fiesta 1.25s start them up and bend the new set :(. Presumably through not replacing the bolt and torquing it up correctly.
Ok feeling like on the right track, will get on it tomorrow. If the timing was out the ECU would throw an error wouldn't it?

Also yes agree about the pulley, the torque is extreme. Undoing it was a nightmare and the locking tool bent way out of shape

Also yes agree about the pulley, the torque is extreme. Undoing it was a nightmare and the locking tool bent way out of shape
Not sure a error code will show on that, it may, though on the one I did with a broken chain etc. no code appeared for that.
Unless you used a different locking set, the one I used was only to set the timing. The way I loosened and tightened the crank pulley was with the belt pulley held on with M8 bolts? removed there is a square lug that is held by the reverse thread crank shaft bolt that is replaced. I used a 3 foot Stilson adjustable to hold the pulley/lug against the ground and then a 3/4 drive impact socket and a long extension with a short piece of scaffold tubing to undo and a commercial torque wrench to tighten the new bolt on the return. If your timing pin was also a locking pin if bent it may alter timing. Though obviously not if you had a separate locking device.
After all tight, I turned the engine by hand several times like you and then checked that all the locking pins would slide in to place with no effort.

Back