Technical First post here & first question

Currently reading:
Technical First post here & first question

mar71n

Hi

This is my Panda 4X4 I was given it in 06 as an MOT failure but other thanthat it all worked. I`ve been able to store under cover since & set to getit working last week, so my daughter can have a go at driving on a mates field.

DSC00654.jpg

But have run into a slow running problem & can not get it to tick overat sensible rate. a mechanic friend of mine has had a look at the carb & herecons the slow running jet has worn away. Not sure how this can happen but itlooks like its not drawing fuel so will not slow run. Does this sound familiar & are service kits available?

That was one of the first jobs I tackled not that there was much fuel in it. The fuel pump took a bit of priming but got it working OK after a while. Took the carb off & cleaned the jets out & freed off the needle valve which was gunged up.
The carb is marked up weber 32 TLF 8 251 1387 I guess this is the standard carb as it was just the previous owners daily drive.
There is a good spark & I have put a new set of plugs in So starting it is sorted but it will not tick over.

Possibly the fuel cut off solenoid is either stuck or getting no power, cable going in to the front of the carb, disconnect it, turn on the ignition then touch the plug to the terminal you should hear it click. If it's stuck closed you will be able to get it to start on the throttle and keep it running with the throttle pedal but it will not idle except possibly with the idle speed screw all the way in so it holds the throttle part open, but it will be as rough as a bag of nails.

I have checked that there was power to the plug, but I`ll check tomorrow if there is a click.

Fuel cut off solenoid would be my first choice too. If it doesn't click take it out and cut off the plunger, it's not an essential part and certainly not worth spending £50 to buy a new one.

Once it is running ok make sure your Daughter doesn't damage it, most 4x4's are very saveable, maybe get it through that mot at last and let her use it properly as her first car. :)

i am going to go with... vacuum tube or tubes perished.. theres a small one on the back of the carb that goes to a diaphragm actuator for the choke. that one on mine was split all the way up causing a massive air leak. the pipe is only an inch or so long, so if the one going to the distributor is still good you can cut a little bit off that and use that. its what i did.
fiat made this pipe to have a fair amount of slack in it, i think that was why haha.

as said though. that fuel cut off solenoid... hmm yeah could be the cause. though my panda still runs even if you unplug the thing, all be it a bit more rougher.
i do think the fuel mixture is way wrong on mine though.

and again as said.. keep the car good.. it would be a nice thing to get back on the road as their's not many about now days. if the rust is not so bad (given it is rust why it failed MOT?) patch it up and get it motoring once again. also have the bonus of it being a really cheap car to insure for a first time driver. (it looks good in the picture!)

let us know how you go on with it!

Last edited:
So checked the solenoid on the front of the carb & its clicking when the ignition is turned on & the vac pipe to the choke & distributer is OK so got my friend to come back down to show me which jet he recons is the problem.

DSC00658.jpg

it should have a tube that sticks out into the air flow which is broken off as you can feel the casting is rough.

Is there any one breaking a 4X4 on here would any one know, as just tried the two breakers in Brum that deal with older cars but no joy

the one in the picture is accelerator jet, but it has snapped :/ thats the one that was blocked on mine causing the car not to rev up as soon as you put your foot down. (you had to rev it slowly)
i made a video of my carb when i cleaned it, you may find some things on it useful.. see 4:50 in the video for what the jet looks like complete

just hope that bit has not damaged the engine as the only place for it to go would be down into one of the cylinders :(

Your right its the accelerator pump jet. Looks like I better have a look at a couple of other things my mechanic friend said were OK.

Don`t think i will have chance to have another go today. So anything elce to check?

Hi there and welcome,

If you are after Weber spares I regularly use these guys as they are very helpful:

http://www.dellorto.co.uk/merchandise/products.asp?CategoryID=3&PartsectionID=102

The service kit should come with everything you need but it won't come with the vacuum advance stuff. They sell new jets too if it does come to that but unless someone has been silly with them in the past they should be ok.

Hope you get it all sorted.

Cheers,
Si

Well its alive not sure what i did but after another clean round the carb started & got it to tick over might be a bit high but it works.
Looks like the throttle cable support bracket is missing unless the cable dangles in fresh air for Fiat. Would any body have a picture of what the set up should look like.
Had a drive round the field first time its moved in 5 or 6 years under its own power all gears present & the brakes stopped it.
So my daughter got to have a go might be a few more years before its on the road but she is only 11.
The car looks good over all, passenger door bottom edge is rusted away, leaks water & the exhausts blowing/fallen off but probably saveable at this point.

hehe 11, wish i was able to drive around a field when i was 11 hehe

yeah the doors are common on the pandas mate, if you can get seat marbella doors they fit right on and more often than not have no rust on them. i have them on my 4x4 hehe. if the other door is good, give the engine an oil change and pour some of the old oil in the door. that saves them really well. do it with the sills too hehe

the exhaust on mine was snapped and hanging low, i just welded up some new mounts on the pipe. if i can get, i plan to get a full stainless one made up for it.

one thing to quickly look at is the inner CV boots. check they have no holes in. the CV boots hold in the gearbox oil so if one gets a hole it, all the oil comes out and you'll be running around on a dry box. not good.. could be more easy to just check the gear box oil level by removing the 12mm plug from the front of the gearbox. if the oil is level with that all will be well.
well worth doing mate for what it takes.

thats about all the common things.. well besides the rust.

as it goes the car will run forever, just got to keep an eye on some key things haha

Well done Martin.

I had my 4x4 when i was 14, i'm sure at 11 it'll be even more fun :D
I couldn't keep it too long, MOT was running out and had no land of my own.. dad insured it for a little while and i got to have a few go's in fields ;)

Wish i kept it :rolleyes: but tarted it up and made a little profit, but lost it all in the 126 :(

So, you have 6 years to get it road worthy for her, ready? ;)

Well we have done a couple of laps round the field without any real dramas & the pandas running ok bar from the blowing exhaust. I've had a look & it just has a couple of holes on the bend after the exhaust has passed under the prop. Not sure there will be much to weld to though but I will get it on a ramp at a mates in Brum & see if it can be saved. But that will be some time next month.

Back