Technical FIRE - Points Distributor to electronic ignition

Currently reading:
Technical FIRE - Points Distributor to electronic ignition

on another note, and sorry to thread jack, but if anyone has a fuel injection wiring diagram for a uno mk1 then please do pass it onto me :D theres nothing in the haynes about ECUs :(

Is this what your after Dragon Man?

Attachments

• img521.jpg
    img521.jpg
    258.1 KB · Views: 107
I`ve just got to decide whether to connect the Panda feed wire to the orange or green, looking at the wiring diagram the greens are negative, the red & orange positive.. So I`d say orange or red to the red on the dizzy, either of the greens to the green on the dizzy, the other green to the blue/black Panda feed... I think...

if you put the blue/black to a green it will blow the ignition module as anything green is an earth.

this diagram should explain how it goes:

attachment.php

Attachments

• panda ignition.png
    panda ignition.png
    6.6 KB · Views: 1,124
sadly thats not the diagram i am after, i am after the non turboed 999cc FIRE single point injection diagram. it uses a Bosch ECU.
the ECU does not use a crank position sensor.. and i just cant for the life of me figure out how it picks up the engine RPM.

i have the complete loom, ecu, and throttle body from off the car. the car was fresh in and i was the first on it.. the engine started and ran.. but like i said.. the ECU has no way of knowing the engine speed.. i just cant figure it out.

sadly thats not the diagram i am after, i am after the non turboed 999cc FIRE single point injection diagram. it uses a Bosch ECU.
the ECU does not use a crank position sensor.. and i just cant for the life of me figure out how it picks up the engine RPM.

i have the complete loom, ecu, and throttle body from off the car. the car was fresh in and i was the first on it.. the engine started and ran.. but like i said.. the ECU has no way of knowing the engine speed.. i just cant figure it out.

I was thinking the same thing yesterday! the one I broke was a 60S i.e., I`ve got the engine in the garage & I was looking for a speed sensor & couldn't find one.. Unless it goes by dizzy pulses via that extra wire on the coil?

I`ll find the wiring diagrams now..

It does seem to get pulses via the ignition, 04236 is the Fuel injection relay & runs to the coil via an orange/blue, then orange/white wire..

Attachments

• spi wiring.jpg
    spi wiring.jpg
    209.2 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:
that diagram explained everything...
the only thing that pulses on the ignition system is then negative side.. the pulse caused by the ignition module (or points) if you look, the wire from the module goes to the coil.. but then goes into pin 1 on the ECU.

we have already figured it out that you would have one green wire spare, but the green wire on your 4 pin coil would have been the ECU RPM indicator wire!

it all makes sense now! i see the light...(it kinda burns.. really must turn those spot light off) but it looks like Talon will get fuel injection some time in the near future :D

.. that ECU is super easy to fit to a carbed panda.. the only hard bit would be finding a home for the lambda sensor.

the rest would just be swapping over the intake manifold and sticking the new throttle body in.

this is what i am doing with Talon.

if you still have access to the Uno you got your ignition system from.. i strongly recommend you also take the intake manifold, throttle body, throttle cable, ECU and engine loom.

in the future, you may want to convert to fuel injection :D

oh man.. that gives me a great idea.. fuel injected 750 :D

that diagram explained everything...
the only thing that pulses on the ignition system is then negative side.. the pulse caused by the ignition module (or points) if you look, the wire from the module goes to the coil.. but then goes into pin 1 on the ECU.

we have already figured it out that you would have one green wire spare, but the green wire on your 4 pin coil would have been the ECU RPM indicator wire!

it all makes sense now! i see the light...(it kinda burns.. really must turn those spot light off) but it looks like Talon will get fuel injection some time in the near future :D

.. that ECU is super easy to fit to a carbed panda.. the only hard bit would be finding a home for the lambda sensor.

the rest would just be swapping over the intake manifold and sticking the new throttle body in.

this is what i am doing with Talon.

if you still have access to the Uno you got your ignition system from.. i strongly recommend you also take the intake manifold, throttle body, throttle cable, ECU and engine loom.

in the future, you may want to convert to fuel injection :D

oh man.. that gives me a great idea.. fuel injected 750 :D

I havent got access to the car any more, but I have got all the running gear (including the odd gearbox that looks like its off a Tipo), injection, ecu etc, but all the injected Uno`s & Panda`s I`ve had have had SPI problems at some point & have felt slower, so I`ll be sticking to the good old 32TLF that never seems to let me down & feels more responsive than the i.e.`s! (y)

I also find the i.e.`s seem to drink loads more fuel when cold, whereas my carbed ones have the same economy all the time (& rarely need choke, even when its snowing)..

My ideal FIRE is a 1368 block with a gasflowed early 8v head, complete with distributor, & a 32/36 carb (or possibly twin SU`s) on a custom manifold, going through a C501 gearbox with LSD.. But thats all probably some way off.. :D

I have got an Uno downpipe & exhaust, but I`m miles away.. I` sure you can get one locally, or maybe you can use a Mk1 Punto manifold to get the lambda?

its not an issue.. i could just steal the down pipe from off Fallout panda.. as that has already had all the work done to it :D

fuel injection has a thing called open and closed loop running. when cold they run open loop.. as the lambda sensor does not work when it is cold.. so the ECU does not read anything from it making the mixture very rich. the cinquecentos onwards use heated lambda sensors so they get hotter faster helping the speed in which they can move to a more fuel saving closed loop running.
early ECUs never supported using a heated lambda sensor.. this injection system is the same. so it runs in open loop for ages using loads of fuel. till the sensor warms up enough to get an accurate reading of oxygen content in the exhaust.

i plan on fitting a more modern lambda sensor with a heater, and sticking it on a thermostatic switch.

i must admit however, if some one offered me a free mk1 punto 60 or 75 engine with ECU, key and code box, i think i would just swap the whole thing out and stick that in.
the only mods you need to make would be the extra wiring, a in line fuel pump, extending coolant hoses, and extending the exhaust downpipe by 2cm then adding the threaded hole for the lambda sensor.

i make that sound easy.. if you have all the bits in one place to do it, you could do a engine swap in a day. i'd just nick all the bits from off Fallout, then remake them at a later date :D

if you put the blue/black to a green it will blow the ignition module as anything green is an earth.

this diagram should explain how it goes:

attachment.php

And a simplified wiring diagram:

Now managed to do this myself on Victoria this afternoon. Thank you both for this info you've posted, and to AndyPanda4x4 for being at the end of the phone for me relaying back how its wired on his 4x4 :)

Back