General Filthy old engine......

Currently reading:
General Filthy old engine......

I've seen some grubby old engines in my time, but haven't seen one like this for a year or two. Its the spare for the Fiat 500, and I need part of the air cowling for the one in the car.
I've attacked bits of it with a scraper, used plenty of paraffin on it and I'm starting to get it clean.
Tempted to leave it to marinate in paraffin for a week or two if I can find a big enough container, alternatively I could take it down the carwash and use the high pressure hose with soapy water on it - although I'm not sure that's very environmentally friendly!

Assuming you're after advice on cleaners available in your location, I would recommend "Tix dégraissant". Best results by brushing it on,
leaving it for a few minutes, and rinsing with high pressure hot water if available. It's not ecologically nasty enough to have been banned,
and probably beats dumping oil-based solvents in the sewer system. Just don't get any in your eyes !

I've seen some grubby old engines in my time, but haven't seen one like this for a year or two. Its the spare for the Fiat 500, and I need part of the air cowling for the one in the car.
I've attacked bits of it with a scraper, used plenty of paraffin on it and I'm starting to get it clean.
Tempted to leave it to marinate in paraffin for a week or two if I can find a big enough container, alternatively I could take it down the carwash and use the high pressure hose with soapy water on it - although I'm not sure that's very environmentally friendly!

Assuming you're after advice on cleaners available in your location, I would recommend "Tix dégraissant". Best results by brushing it on,
leaving it for a few minutes, and rinsing with high pressure hot water if available. It's not ecologically nasty enough to have been banned,
and probably beats dumping oil-based solvents in the sewer system. Just don't get any in your eyes !
Are you intending to eventuall strip the engine? If you are, the best way to clean the engine is to have it 'vapor-blasted' (aka 'aqua-blasted). This will bring the crankcase, and anything else that you get 'blasted' to look like new again. I have heard of people putting a crankcase into the dish-washer---this will be best done whilst the wife is out of the house, unless you have a VERY understanding good lady!

Are you intending to eventuall strip the engine? If you are, the best way to clean the engine is to have it 'vapor-blasted' (aka 'aqua-blasted). This will bring the crankcase, and anything else that you get 'blasted' to look like new again. I have heard of people putting a crankcase into the dish-washer---this will be best done whilst the wife is out of the house, unless you have a VERY understanding good lady!
The idea was to strip it, check it out, and if its still in good nick put it back together again and put it in the car sometime next year. I've had a look in the local yellow pages and there is someone who does vapor blasting not too far away, so I might take at least the finned bits to him to do. A mate actually does sand blasting, but I suspect that would just make matters worse!
I've often wondered about getting a second hand dishwasher and installing it in the garage, although its the wife's car I suspect she would turn her nose up at the idea of putting it in the domestic one!

The idea was to strip it, check it out, and if its still in good nick put it back together again and put it in the car sometime next year. I've had a look in the local yellow pages and there is someone who does vapor blasting not too far away, so I might take at least the finned bits to him to do. A mate actually does sand blasting, but I suspect that would just make matters worse!
I've often wondered about getting a second hand dishwasher and installing it in the garage, although its the wife's car I suspect she would turn her nose up at the idea of putting it in the domestic one!
Yes, sand blasting would do too much damage. The beauty of 'vapour blasting' is that the 'blasting' medium is VERY fine and suspended in water (at high pressure). It leaves NO marks on the object blasted, whereas sand/grit blasting does. The other advantage of 'vapour' blasting is that you do not have to mask off the gasket surfaces, something you HAVE to do when sand/grit blasting.

I've done some more to it - managed to get the head off, and the barrels which look to be in pretty good condition - no evident scoring etc. The head seems pretty 'coked up' so it was probably in need of an 'italian tune up' just before it was taken out.
Its upside down over an old 20 litre paint bucket at the moment letting all the oil / paraffin etc drip out, then I'll give the big ends a staring at.
The bottom of the sump seems to have a fairly thick layer of congealed oil on it as well.
All in all I'm pleasantly surprised (so far) at the state of it considering the awful mess it was in on the outside.

Back