Technical Fiat Ulysee speed sensor question

Currently reading:
Technical Fiat Ulysee speed sensor question

tonyhag

W reg 16V 2.0 litre petrol engine, presume its a mark 1.

Ok having problem over last fortnight with speedo being really erratic once I get above 50mph and I am at the moment having to use a speedo on my android phone until I get to the bottom of the problem.

Todays trip I was doing about 55mph and the speedo was reading anywhere from 10mph to 30mph.

A few times before this started I have had my ABS light come on and go off again after a half an hour or so and so I am asking the following question.

Is the speedometer sensor on my model on the gearbox or is on the wheels with it having ABS?

Oh just another question, I am wondering is the speedo electronic or dfoes it use a speedometer cable as looking at this website http://tinyurl.com/ncrshj6 the ulysee has a speedo cable, not found sensor on this site.

I believe the Eurovan1 models used a speedo cable up to RPO 06778, but after that an electronic speedo was fitted. You should check the RPO number for your vehicle, which is usually found on a label by the driver's door.

If it is an electronic speedometer, the sensor on the gearbox, its wiring and/or connections may be faulty, or there may be a fault on your instrument cluster.

Edit: Just checked on ePer and the Ulysse models from 1994-2000 definitely use a mechanical speedo cable. You probably need a new one.

Last edited:
Just had the speedo cluster off and its blue electrical connector and no speedo cable into back of speedo, so I guess its electronic, just trying to find the sensor but not sure if its top or bottom of gearbox?

vss (1).jpg vss (3).jpg

I managed to find the Vehicle Speed sensor and it looks as though someone has been at this before as some of the wires have been joined with bullet connectors, so I have had a fiddle about with them and will test the speedo later to see if that has done anything, failing that due to its location and accessibility I will take it into a garage and ask them to fit a new speed sensor and sort the wires out.

From your photo, it looks like your problem could be a dodgy connection. On earlier models, the speedo cable enters the gearbox through the circular hole to the right of your sensor connectors, which is blanked off on later models like yours.

Back