Styling FIAT stripe

Currently reading:
Styling FIAT stripe

Where can I find this stripe? Did FIAT make this? It came with our car when we bought it used. IMG_0368.JPG

Hi,

Just as another question on the subject of stripes I need to replace my green white red across bonnet and roof as the red has totally faded.

Have got the original factory ones but as JR says lots of various after market copies and different patterns were being produced by individuals and you could submit your own idea into the graphics.

That said can someone advise the best way to remove the old vinyl decals. I bet a hot day is good and as we have a few coming up maybe an opportunity to do it.

Farrah

Hi,

Just as another question on the subject of stripes I need to replace my green white red across bonnet and roof as the red has totally faded.

Have got the original factory ones but as JR says lots of various after market copies and different patterns were being produced by individuals and you could submit your own idea into the graphics.

That said can someone advise the best way to remove the old vinyl decals. I bet a hot day is good and as we have a few coming up maybe an opportunity to do it.

Farrah

Yeah, typically a heat gun lets you peel vinyl with ease, especially if it’s a stripe.

I did this recently. I bought an eraser for my drill which worked but the best method was to pour boiling water over it and it just pulls off. Use nail varnish remover or a sticky stuff remover to take off any excess glue.

Works a treat.

Personally I would not use nail varnish remover on the paint work, try either WD40, IPA(alcohol) not sure if brake cleaner(dry cleaning fluid) harms the lacquer

Personally I would not use nail varnish remover on the paint work, try either WD40, IPA(alcohol) not sure if brake cleaner(dry cleaning fluid) harms the lacquer
Tried WD40, barely touches it. Don't think brake cleaner does either. Nail Varnish remover works a treat and doesn't harm the clearcoat at all. Used it loads of times. I often get cars and panels that have been wrapped in parcel tape and leaves a sticky mess espeially with the brown parcel tape. A light rub over with nail varnish remover and it all comes off.

Hi,

Yeh they provide a sealed cleaning cloth in with the factory kit but it is no more than a tack rag duster I assume for paint when a virgin panel.

I use acetone to remove excess contact adhesive fromfabrics and paintwork. Does smell a bit like nail varnish remover.

A bodyshop once gave me some panel wipe tetrahydrosomething-or-other on the tin. Anyone in their 60's may remember the old dab on material spot cleaner called 'thawpit' something too dry cleaners use smells the same.

Now turning to applying after all nice and clean I read somewhere that it was a good idea to spray water on the panel first. I know this is what you do if applying the vinyl frosting patterns to home window glass but not sure about this stuff for the car. Lots of instructions in the box on positioning and cutting but nothing really about applying to prevent any air bubbles underneath.

I like the hot water idea for removing so will try that too.

Farrah

I use acetone to remove excess contact adhesive fromfabrics and paintwork. Does smell a bit like nail varnish remover.

Acetone is the primary constituent of nail varnish remover. It's a highly volatile solvent, with many uses in the workshop - I always keep a bottle on the shelf. It has the double advantage of both being cheap and surprisingly (for a powerful organic solvent) non toxic. It's also readily obtainable (anyone supplying glassfibre materials will have loads of it).

Like quite a few highly useful chemicals, it also has various illegal applications (it can be used to produce high explosive, and is a key precursor in the synthesis of crystal meth), so if you're buying a large quantity, don't be surprised if the company supplying it asks you what you are going to use it for.

Anyone in their 60's may remember the old dab on material spot cleaner called 'thawpit' something too dry cleaners use smells the same.

That's Carbon Tetrachloride (CCl4). Now known to be both carcinogenic and acutely toxic, it's also a powerful ozone depleter, so is almost never used now, although you can still buy it from chemical supply houses (at a price).

Most drycleaning today is done using perchloroethylene; itself under scrutiny (google 'drycleaning cancer') and (I think) banned in California.

Last edited:
I used a spray bottle with water and a few drops of detergent when applying the sun-visor across the top of the windscreen and it worked a treat. I didn't do that when applying the vinyl decals to the sides though because positioning wasn't so critical and they're all pretty small. The sun-visor was custom made and the seller provided a hard plastic 'squeegee' which was almost useless and scratched the surface of the vinyl. The recommended credit card did the same but I found a rubber roller in a craft shop and that made it easy to press out the water and eliminate air bubbles.

Shellite leaves no residue and evaporates quickly. I've used it for decades to remove price stickers from collectibles and their packaging.

Shellite leaves no residue and evaporates quickly. I've used it for decades to remove price stickers from collectibles and their packaging.

Shellite (solvent X55, produced by Shell, hence the name) is basically petrol. In the UK, Coleman fuel is essentially the same thing; our US friends will know it as 'white gas'.

Acetone is the primary constituent of nail varnish remover. It's a highly volatile solvent, with many uses in the workshop - I always keep a bottle on the shelf. It has the double advantage of both being cheap and surprisingly (for a powerful organic solvent) non toxic. It's also readily obtainable (anyone supplying glassfibre materials will have loads of it).

Like quite a few highly useful chemicals, it also has various illegal applications (it can be used to produce high explosive, and is a key precursor in the synthesis of crystal meth), so if you're buying a large quantity, don't be surprised if the company supplying it asks you what you are going to use it for.

That's Carbon Tetrachloride (CCl4). Now known to be both carcinogenic and acutely toxic, it's also a powerful ozone depleter, so is almost never used now, although you can still buy it from chemical supply houses (at a price).

Most drycleaning today is done using perchloroethylene; itself under scrutiny (google 'drycleaning cancer') and (I think) banned in California.

Hi,

You are testing my grey cells but I seem to remember the problem with 'thawpit' or cc14 was that actually nicotine fumes combined with CC14 created a poisoness gas.............so if smoking cancer did not get you, or blowing yourself up lighting the cigarette then the combination of the two fumes poisoned you, hence 'thawpit' was eventually banned for home use sale and the name just disappeared, like 'twizzle' and 'torchy the battery boy':p from TV's and I do miss 'tom and jerry' and 'popeye':devil:

Thanks for all the info on the water spray I will use that but skip the detergent just in case it affects the bonding.

Farrah

I've had good success removing all kinds of sticky residue with olive oil. Smear it on the goo and let it sit a while. Wipe off, repeat if needed, then soap to clean off the oil. Safe for paint, environmentally benign.

Back