General Fiat Stilo 2.4 bad start

Currently reading:
General Fiat Stilo 2.4 bad start

berry20

Hello Everyone,

My Fiat Stilo Abarth has the problem to not start on the first try.
But if I turn it off and on again it will start immediately.

Here my video: https://youtu.be/SqsPOb-JpIg

Does someone has any idea?

Thanks!

Kind regards,

Berry

Cranking builds up fuel pressure, and it looks like your car only starts after it’s had a chance to build some.

Take the fuel pipe off the fuel rail and put something underneath to catch any fuel. Then just turn the ignition to “On” without cranking the engine. You should get a 2-3 second dash of fuel out of the pipe, as the pump primes the system. If not, then that might be a clue for further investigation.

I can’t hear it very well but the car sounds a bit asthmatic. It could be running too lean. If it’s a hot day, is the problem less pronounced than when it’s freezing cold outside?

Ralf S.

Last edited:
Everyday when I first start it or after it sit for a while.
I am not seeing the imobiliser light come on and then go off . Check drivers hand book for imobiliser operation and where imobiliser light is located , if it has one.

Check for fault codes?

Everyday when I first start it or after it sit for a while.
Part of the problem may be you do not wait for self check to finish before turning starter motor on.

Turn key to position where check engine light comes on , wait for check engine light to go out then turn key to operate starter motor.

If that doesn't fix it post another video
Of the not starting when you wait for check engine light to go out.
I have an idea

Cranking builds up fuel pressure, and it looks like your car only starts after it’s had a chance to build some.

Take the fuel pipe off the fuel rail and put something underneath to catch any fuel. Then just turn the ignition to “On” without cranking the engine. You should get a 2-3 second dash of fuel out of the pipe, as the pump primes the system. If not, then that might be a clue for further investigation.

I can’t hear it very well but the car sounds a bit asthmatic. It could be running too lean. If it’s a hot day, is the problem less pronounced than when it’s freezing cold outside?

Ralf S.

This was also what I was thinking. But I do not have a fuel pressure tester.

I am not seeing the imobiliser light come on and then go off . Check drivers hand book for imobiliser operation and where imobiliser light is located , if it has one.

Check for fault codes?

The immo light is on the lcd display but does not come on. Now I do not have any faults in the car. But sometimes code P1135 - Preheating resistance 1 above catalyser will come on.

Part of the problem may be you do not wait for self check to finish before turning starter motor on.

Turn key to position where check engine light comes on , wait for check engine light to go out then turn key to operate starter motor.

If that doesn't fix it post another video
Of the not starting when you wait for check engine light to go out.
I have an idea

When I turn the key to the on position (no start position) I get "check ok" but the engine light is always on when the key is in on position. But when the car is running it goes off.

Last edited:
This was also what I was thinking. But I do not have a fuel pressure tester.

The immo light is on the lcd display but does not come on. Now I do not have any faults in the car. But sometimes code P1135 - Preheating resistance 1 above catalyser will come on.

When I turn the key to the on position (no start position) I get "check ok" but the engine light is always on when the key is in on position. But when the car is running it goes off.
Is the immo light meant to come on and go off ? Look in hand book for key code/ immo operation.

Next time when cold pause a little longer before turning key to operate starter.
Just to try.

Does your code reader read live data, if it does look at crank position signal when cold and cam position sensor signal cold.

Then compare them to signals when hot.

I don't know if it's significant on stilo but in video when cranking cold no start your rpm needle didn't move at all. On other makes this can indicate crank sensor signal problem. You could check this by when car running remove fuel pump fuse, wait for engine to stop due to no fuel, crank engine on starter and see if rpm needle moved at all . If needle does move next time when it doesn't start cold watch needle carefully for movement.

Is the immo light meant to come on and go off ? Look in hand book for key code/ immo operation.

Next time when cold pause a little longer before turning key to operate starter.
Just to try.

Does your code reader read live data, if it does look at crank position signal when cold and cam position sensor signal cold.

Then compare them to signals when hot.

I don't know if it's significant on stilo but in video when cranking cold no start your rpm needle didn't move at all. On other makes this can indicate crank sensor signal problem. You could check this by when car running remove fuel pump fuse, wait for engine to stop due to no fuel, crank engine on starter and see if rpm needle moved at all . If needle does move next time when it doesn't start cold watch needle carefully for movement.

There is no immo light that needs to come on or off. But if you put the wrong key in it you just get a immo error.

I'm not sure if it needle needs to move on the start. Mabey someone else here that does know that?

I have 2 different code readers. Multiecuscan and Autocom.
Both are able to read live data

There is no immo light that needs to come on or off. But if you put the wrong key in it you just get a immo error.

I'm not sure if it needle needs to move on the start. Mabey someone else here that does know that?

I have 2 different code readers. Multiecuscan and Autocom.
Both are able to read live data
Hi again , I'm just back from downloading and reading the stilo handbook about the code system but you beat me to it.
I agree on your stilo code light should only come on if "wrong" key.

Ok you are sorted to graph crank and cam sensor signals at no start cold you may as well look at engine temp too.

Let us know what you find.

Plus with mes do the actuator tests , you may find something pay special attention to listen for fuel pump in tank operation.

Good hunting.

Hi again , I'm just back from downloading and reading the stilo handbook about the code system but you beat me to it.
I agree on your stilo code light should only come on if "wrong" key.

Ok you are sorted to graph crank and cam sensor signals at no start cold you may as well look at engine temp too.

Let us know what you find.

Plus with mes do the actuator tests , you may find something pay special attention to listen for fuel pump in tank operation.

Good hunting.

Find something out.

Did changes the sparkplugs. But still not ok.
If it doesn't start I smell fuel so I think the fuel pump is ok.
MES and autocom cannot read the data when the car starts so cannot test the sensor.

Find something out.

Did changes the sparkplugs. But still not ok.
If it doesn't start I smell fuel so I think the fuel pump is ok.
MES and autocom cannot read the data when the car starts so cannot test the sensor.
If you have two keys try the second key and see if there is a difference.

Next time it's is cold turn key to mar but don't activate states motor, then turn key off, then see if car will start.
Report result here.

Next time it's is cold turn key to mar but don't activate states motor, then turn key off, then see if car will start.
Report result here.

Still the same. No start after priming the fuel pump for 2 times

When it's running see if you can view cam position sensor signal in mes

When it's running see if you can view cam position sensor signal in mes

One year later... But I'm back but still have the issue but the car still drives great.
But I'm still curious what can cause it. I cannot find the cam pos in mes. How is it called?

Back