General Fiat qubo suspension snapped and tyres last 5800 miles

Currently reading:
General Fiat qubo suspension snapped and tyres last 5800 miles

motability told me to take it to 2 kwik-fits ( they said it was for fiat to look at ),and then onto fiat ,fiat just took copies of the print out and booked me in for 2 weeks time .
i just know that my car is my lifeline !!

Pass the buck time..................its not our fault its theirs.

Not impressed with your dealer, at the very least they should have made sure it was safe to be on the road. My dealer has previously taken my Qubo off the road for safety reasons..............only way I could have had it back was to sign a disclaimer that any problem encountered would be at my own risk. Needless to say, car stayed with dealer..............

Good luck, hope it all works out o.k.

Cheers Qube O.:(:(

Can't blame dealer if they have not got time to look at it as people have to book ahead no matter your personal circumstances however a courtesy visual check would be nice but why did kwik fit release it if they knew there was a problem?

What I don't understand is that you say the tracking' was the issue and nothing about a noise....later while driving on a back road you decided the noise (?) was so bad that you turned back...so the noise was not there when both garages looked at it or am I reading it wrong here? :confused:

Pass the buck time..................its not our fault its theirs.

Not impressed with your dealer, at the very least they should have made sure it was safe to be on the road. My dealer has previously taken my Qubo off the road for safety reasons..............only way I could have had it back was to sign a disclaimer that any problem encountered would be at my own risk. Needless to say, car stayed with dealer..............

Good luck, hope it all works out o.k.

Cheers Qube O.:(:(

Hi, out of curiosity, what was the safety issue?

Can't blame dealer if they have not got time to look at it as people have to book ahead no matter your personal circumstances however a courtesy visual check would be nice but why did kwik fit release it if they knew there was a problem?

What I don't understand is that you say the tracking' was the issue and nothing about a noise....later while driving on a back road you decided the noise (?) was so bad that you turned back...so the noise was not there when both garages looked at it or am I reading it wrong here? :confused:
hi
thanks for your replies and advice,
there was no noise at all until it snatched out of my hand on the back road
i said it didn't feel right, i can't explain why ! what ! how !
if i post the tracking photos on here maybe someone can understand them ,
i just need to photoshop the registration out of the pictures
the kwik-fit people said it was SAFE to drive ,
kwik-fit people said with the printouts it was best to take it to fiat to deal with it (it could of been warranty issue )
any advice on the tracking pictures would be great,

hi
thanks for your replies and advice,
there was no noise at all until it snatched out of my hand on the back road
i said it didn't feel right, i can't explain why ! what ! how !
if i post the tracking photos on here maybe someone can understand them ,
i just need to photoshop the registration out of the pictures
the kwik-fit people said it was SAFE to drive ,
kwik-fit people said with the printouts it was best to take it to fiat to deal with it (it could of been warranty issue )
any advice on the tracking pictures would be great,
thank you

Attachments

• img101.jpg
    img101.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 52
  • img102.jpg
    img102.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 47
At last with the printouts it is starting to make some sense.

Generally only the tracking is adjustable. This is normally the cause of tyre wear. The full alignment check shows the accuracy of the body alignment and suspension mounting bushes.
The first Kwik Fit identified issues with camber and caster which are not adjustable. They referred you to the dealer as only they in conjunction with Fiat can find a fix or replace the vehicle. At that time, it should have been safe to drive if alignment was the issue. In hindsight, it could have been flexing of the bottom arm causing the alignment issues, so unsafe to drive, but not having been there it may not have been apparent to the inspector.
The second printout is a key clue here. The values have changed significantly. The rear values are close enough to be minor differences in operator or equipment, but the front values have changed enough to suggest that something has moved in the time between the two measurements. This could well be evidence of the bottom arm flexing, changing the readings.
With just the evidence here, it would appear that the bottom arm was fatigued and failing. This caused the rapid tyre wear and the changing readings. disappointing that the inspectors did not see any evidence of the arm fatigue, but for the alignment check they may not have looked under the car. (Difference between fitter and technician)

The issue now is whether the bottom arm cracked due to faulty material (could indicate a batch fault), a design fault which may indicate that all cars are at risk, or whether it failed due to abnormal loads and forces. These could include regular kerb or pothole strikes, so would be down to the driver. If a fault with the component, Fiat will want to determine that and determine if a recall is needed. They will take it seriously. If their inspection determines no fault with the material, they will say not their fault, but may, if asked nicely, contribute to the repair costs. Motability should be fighting this as it is their car. If you're not happy, ask for the broken bits back and talk to Dept. of Transport who will order a recall if they believe materials are at fault.

Thank you for your time to explain things to me , you explained it very well ,I sort of understand a bit better now , fiat have the part there is no way of them giving it back ,
Motability said they needed it back for tests and I returned it ( I should of kept it ) ,but I done what Motability asked of me ,
The plus side is I don't have to have the fiat back due to safety and faith in fiat and Motability has allowed me to order a new car I can't thank Motability enough for doing this for me .
I don't understand why fiat could not of took a quick look they did when the airbag failure light/alarm kept going off
I understand kwik-fit would of not allowed it on the road if it was unsafe,
I understand fiat won't admit it was there fault due to legal reasons ,
I understand not all fiat dealers are the same ,
I understand Motability have to protect themselves,
I don't understand why a 5 minute check at fiat could of prevented all of the problems
Thanks andy

:confused:

so the springs were broken when you took to get the car checked but the lower arm wasn't snapped and therefore unlikely any visual check would of been of any benefit.

Are you sure you didn't go down any big potholes or bumps etc?

I think I will have to re read through this thread as it's a little vague, I will PM you Andy for clarification.

Hi thanks for your reply
No the springs were ok ,the dealer asked if that had happened as he had snapped springs before ?
Fiat are a company to avoid they won't help ,the dealer won't help ,Motability want me to have it back (we refuse to drive it on safety grounds if we was on a14 we would of been dead ) they say if I can find a replacement car with quick delivery I can have it , but what a surprise after a grants in place you order a car then the dealer calls to say grants withdrawn ,but guess what the grants dpt didn't tell me , and you can't call them from 5.15 on Friday until Monday ,I have had no sleep and worried sick I will loose the Motability car ,I just wish I had some money and I would tell them to stick it ,Motability is for disabled people but they are not disabled friendly , I just want to give up on everything

First, take a deep breath and calm down.
Until we hear of any similar failures this is a one-off. The Qubo is also a Fiorino van, Peugeot Bipper car and van and Citroen Nemo car and van. That's a lot of vehicles.

I don't understand why fiat could not of took a quick look they did when the airbag failure light/alarm kept going off
Garages are a business and need to keep their mechanics busy to earn money, as they have to pay them. They do not plan empty space during any day, so the ability to look at anything will depend on workload.
Your original complaint was of tyre wear. This is not normally life-threatening. The alignment printouts from KwikFit show caster/camber issues, not normally adjustable. Again, this is not indicative of an urgent problem. The differences between the two printouts is quite subtle and it is only this that suggests that the problem is changing. I saw this, I would doubt that many technicians would, and very unlikely for receptionists to understand this.

This thread had been live for nearly 3 weeks before you showed us the printouts, yet this was key to the diagnosis. The garage have to try to understand the issue and assess its urgency based on the customer's complaint. Not always easy.

You continued to drive it whilst hearing noises. Did you report the noises to the dealer?

I understand kwik-fit would of not allowed it on the road if it was unsafe,
KwikFit diagnosed a suspension alignment issue, not adjustable which is why they referred you to the dealer. I doubt they looked under the car, so would not have seen any evidence of metal fatigue. A vehicle built with suspension mountings incorrectly aligned is not urgent. The second KwikFit might have been expected to compare the two printouts, if you'd shown them the first, so disappointing that they did not highlight the differences and look underneath to assess what was changing.

I understand fiat won't admit it was there fault due to legal reasons ,
Fiat and the dealer are not the same. The dealer is an independent franchisee. They will return the part to Fiat technical for assessment, who will be very careful what they tell you, until they are certain as to the cause.

I understand Motability have to protect themselves,
Motability are not technical. They are a facilitator. They will refer all technical matters to their contracted "experts". They can only act on what their experts tell them.

Fiat are a company to avoid they won't help ,the dealer won't help ,Motability want me to have it back (we refuse to drive it on safety grounds if we was on a14 we would of been dead ) they say if I can find a replacement car with quick delivery I can have it , but what a surprise after a grants in place you order a car then the dealer calls to say grants withdrawn ,but guess what the grants dpt didn't tell me , and you can't call them from 5.15 on Friday until Monday ,I have had no sleep and worried sick I will loose the Motability car ,I just wish I had some money and I would tell them to stick it ,Motability is for disabled people but they are not disabled friendly , I just want to give up on everything

Motability are a charity leasing company. You have a lease on this car, so would not be eligible for another at the same time. So until the first car is definitely rejected by Motability, they may not be able to facilitate a replacement. The vehicle's condition and safety will be decided by Fiat and its dealer, not by Motability or its customer.

If the vehicle has been repaired, it should be fine. Fiat will continue to investigate the cause and will take any necessary action.

The broken arm is unlikely to be a component fault as thousands have been made. Although we can be confident that Fiat will investigate this.
The arm is likely to have been damaged some time over the 10 months the car has been in use. This could have occurred at any time, not just recently, so difficult to know when, unless any driver can specifically remember dropping it into a deep pothole or hitting a kerb hard, etc.

If it has been repaired, continue to use it, but keep pressing for a report on the cause.

if i have it back motability say i have to keep it :~((.
but with the wife refusing to get in it and i don't trust it due to the mess up on motability/ fiat/dealer ,
if it has to sit on the drive for the other 2 years let it,
motability may be a charity but they say
With Motability, there really is nothing to worry about as everything is taken care of. We provide the car and the support you need so you can simply enjoy worry-free motoring. Find out more about
well i had weeks of trouble and my stress levels and pains are nearly enough to push me over edge ,

found a new forums on Facebook .
[email protected] and [email protected]
maybe they can highlight the issues too

motability technical department they are a great help ,shame no one else wants to help .
if it was on finance the finance company would have a duty to help ,

Andy3100
Just been reading your last post, and I'm finding it all very difficult to understand what your saying due to your grammar
A lot of your post's have been misunderstood with vital information missing, we are trying to help you on here, you are not alone, but please read what you have written before you send it out.
LUIGI

i will delete the whole lot as it seams that it must be the drivers fault ,as its not the cars ,
yes and i drive very little due to disability with out the car i would be housebound,
and i prey no one have problems like i have had,
thank you all for your help and advice :~)

if i have it back motability say i have to keep it :~((.
but with the wife refusing to get in it and i don't trust it due to the mess up on motability/ fiat/dealer ,
if it has to sit on the drive for the other 2 years let it,
motability may be a charity but they say
With Motability, there really is nothing to worry about as everything is taken care of. We provide the car and the support you need so you can simply enjoy worry-free motoring. Find out more about
well i had weeks of trouble and my stress levels and pains are nearly enough to push me over edge ,

found a new forums on Facebook .
[email protected] and [email protected]
maybe they can highlight the issues too

Stop blaming Motability. Posting on those forums will give you no help and may reduce any help if Motability get upset.

i will delete the whole lot as it seams that it must be the drivers fault ,as its not the cars ,
yes and i drive very little due to disability with out the car i would be housebound,
and i prey no one have problems like i have had,
thank you all for your help and advice :~)

Search Google for suspension problems on Qubo, Bipper, Fiorino and Nemo and all I've found is this post and upper suspension mountings having a short life, which is of no relevance here. This issue currently appears to be your vehicle only, so is most likely to be a use-related failure.

With a new suspension arm and any other repairs complete it will be fine, just like all the others out there.

well the story is motability have done a mechanical termination due to the suspension issue .
so if it was just my car are you saying its the driver fault ?
why would a car use tyres so quick ?
why would me saying suspension snapped and the fiat service manager reply tome a spring again if its not a common problem ?
if its that safe after its been fixed ( fiat undecided )
people have the right to know what car it happened on so i will post the registration online

Back