General Fiat Punto starting Problems

Currently reading:
General Fiat Punto starting Problems

carolan

Hi Everyone, Im new to this forum and i have just got my second car A fiat punto 1.8 and when my mum had it she was having problems which was her starting it up and it would run fine then she would park up for about 5 minutes when she went back it wouldnt start she would then she would have to jump the car with another battery. Me and my dad have had a look and checked the alternator and that is fine. We asked my dads friend and he said try putting the terminal on the battery and see if it sparks we did that and their is something live but we cant find out what it is we have checked alternator and starter motor and we still cant find the problem. I would much appreciate a reply then i would know what else to check on the car.

Thanks

Carolan

Hi!
I am having exactly the same problems as you.........I have replaced the battery and had a new starter motor put in to see if this might remedy the problem but it was a waste of money as the car still doesn't start!
Sorry I cant help but if I find the problem I will get back to you!

I know its time consuming but you could start by take each fuse out in turn then try striking the positve battery lead against the positive battery connection and when it stops arcing you will then have a start point to look for.

Have you tested the battery? I know it didnt help in judys case, but start with the simple things first. 5 minits is a very short time to drain a fully charged, fully working battery. Not even leaing the ignition on with the rear window demister and headlights on should fully drain the battery in just 5 minits if it is holding its charge properly.
Cheers,
Alan

Hi Everyone, Im new to this forum and i have just got my second car A fiat punto 1.8 and when my mum had it she was having problems which was her starting it up and it would run fine then she would park up for about 5 minutes when she went back it wouldnt start she would then she would have to jump the car with another battery. Me and my dad have had a look and checked the alternator and that is fine. We asked my dads friend and he said try putting the terminal on the battery and see if it sparks we did that and their is something live but we cant find out what it is we have checked alternator and starter motor and we still cant find the problem. I would much appreciate a reply then i would know what else to check on the car.

Thanks

Carolan

I have had kind of the same problem today, i went out to get some petrol from an asda garage when i went to start the engine it would not start at all not even the battery light would come on. So i had to get someone to push the car and try and get the engine running and it worked.
But then i got home and went to turn engine back on cause i forgot to shut the window and it was dead again, i got someone to jump start it and took it to a garage nearby and they said it sounds like the battery is dead so they are replacing it.
Its one thing after another with this car first the wires corroded and then i had a flat tyre and now this. ive only had the car for 3 weeks load of crap.
I felt like screaming today:bang::mad:

Back