Technical fiat punto 188 1.2 2003 loud engine noise & leaking engine oil

Currently reading:
Technical fiat punto 188 1.2 2003 loud engine noise & leaking engine oil

kbcitdsh

hey guys,
I'm new here and need your help please.
yesterday the engine suddenly started making a lot of noise, and it wouldn't go faster than 40km/h.
now i popped up the bonnet and saw that there's some engine oil leaking.
can anyone tell me what the problem is and how i can fix it?
I'm grateful for any help, thanks in advance

Attachments

• Imagepipe_10.jpg
    Imagepipe_10.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 338
  • Imagepipe_9.jpg
    Imagepipe_9.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 106
Go to a mechanic who can see and hear it .
Good luck

at a guess the oil you can see and the noise you can hear are not related to the same problem. you just see the oil that was there already after you hear the noise.

If you want to fix this car yourself you will need to get tools and knowledge. There is not much we can do over the internet for an engine that is suddenly noisy that looses power. It cannot be a minor problem. Something has broken. A mechanic will likely tell you where that noise is coming from and give you some idea what is needed to fix it.

A video of the engine running where you move the camera to find the noise is going to help this forum

hey guys,
I'm new here and need your help please.
yesterday the engine suddenly started making a lot of noise, and it wouldn't go faster than 40km/h.
now i popped up the bonnet and saw that there's some engine oil leaking.
can anyone tell me what the problem is and how i can fix it?
I'm grateful for any help, thanks in advance
the oil leak is most likely to be either the gasket on the cam cover or the O ring in the cover on the end of the head/cam cover. Unsightly and probably best sorted but not a terminal problem and, unless absolutely pouring oil out, nothing to get too worried about. Have you checked the oil level?

A sudden loud engine noise needs to be investigated immediately. At best it may be something like a broken bracket or loose component (like alternator etc) however at worst it might be something like an engine bearing - big end for instance - which, if you continue to drive the car, will rapidly result in a ruined engine (if not ruined already) Someone who "knows" needs to look at this like yesterday and give you an opinion right now.

If you can post a video with sound we can all make some informed suggestions, but I think a competent mechanic needs to see the car right now.

Might be a worn water pump or tensioner bearing which has allowed the timing to "jump" which would explain the drop off in performance and loud noise? Pretty sure your engine is "non interference" so if the belt comes off altogether all that happens is the engine will stop rather than self destruct as is the case with the newer versions. Still not a good outcome if it happens somewhere inconvenient - like outer lane of motorway or double yellow lined high street!

Last edited:
The oil leak there is a common problem. As mentioned above it could be the gasket or the o ring. The o ring was a nightmare to find, saw some online for extortionate prices. I bought some o rings for plumbing and as well gasket silicone and it worked perfectly fine.

In regards to the loud engine check your spark plugs. One of mine were cut and it kept zapping everything around it whenever i'd accelerate causing me to lose acceleration and performance.

The oil leak there is a common problem. As mentioned above it could be the gasket or the o ring. The o ring was a nightmare to find, saw some online for extortionate prices. I bought some o rings for plumbing and as well gasket silicone and it worked perfectly fine.

In regards to the loud engine check your spark plugs. One of mine were cut and it kept zapping everything around it whenever i'd accelerate causing me to lose acceleration and performance.
thanks for your helpful reply.
can you send a link for the o rings? i don't know which ones and where to put it on the motor.

Back