Fiat Punto 1.2 ELX Speedgear ATF Leaked!

Currently reading:
Fiat Punto 1.2 ELX Speedgear ATF Leaked!

stitchup

Hi guys,

Just bought a 51 plated Fiat Punto 1.2 ELXSpeedgear with just 24k on the cloxk. 1st day out we travelled a leisurely 250 miles from Bridgend to Scunthorpe. Brilliant drive without any problems.

We stopped at a pub for lunch ans 30 mins later with just 2 miles to go, ww took off again. I noticed a sort of, what I thought was an engine missfire. 1 mile on, We were losing drive and a red warning light appeared on the dash. I pulled up immediately, lifted the bonnet and discovered automatic transmission fluid pouring out.

The rest is history and the car is in the process of AA recovery! :(

Is this a common issue? Any tips?

Thanks

John

Just got home from work and the AA have delivered the Fiat. I just took a picture to show the area the fluid seemed to be coming from.

I hope you can see the red arrow
FiatPuntoELXSpeedgear1.jpg

John

is there any rust on the filter? it could have rusted into a wholew and be coming from there and dripping down.

don't fill will any thing but proper Tutela CVT NG

Absolutely bang on Dave. The top of the filter had rusted through and that was the cause of all the problems!

I had the car taken to a local garage who found the problem, fitted a new filter and filled with ATF (I don't know what brand). Charged me £70 for the lot - collection from my home too.

Before they looked at it, the battery had gone flat, might need replacing. Now the engine management light is on. I did ask them about it at the garage and they said all they did was to change the filter and fill up. Maybe it's because the battery went very low?

Cheers

John

Back