Technical Fiat Ducato 2011: Raise suspension?

Currently reading:
Technical Fiat Ducato 2011: Raise suspension?

Hello there, I am about to buy a Dethleffs Globe 4 motorhome - Fiat Ducato 2011 (150 HP), with I believe an AL-KO chassis. Its very low to the ground, what you might call a "glamper"! Its about 4" lower than my current motorhome so I am wondering about the best way to raise the suspension.

I figure that air bags under the back springs may lift and stop the long overhang from scraping so easily in driveways. Maybe on the front too, but I have no idea whether this will destabilise the van on corners or high wind. So looking for various options of how to go about doing this, thanks in advance.
319399010_2319768961516655_4032511847724452753_n.jpg

That looks about right for an alko chassis vehicle they do tend to be low down at the back end

I'd just get under neeth and make sure it's not sitting on the bump stop or anything
The main problem is the massive overhang on many MHs at the rear. I had a custom with a Cherokee Sun Voyager, the overhang was longer than many cars, so going around the hilly lanes in Devon it was forever bottoming out, causing damage. In the end he had a sort of "wheelie bar" , a frame with castors on it (large steel wheels) that were able to take the strain and allow it to navigate steep inclines bolted to the rear chassis area. He used to drive it all over Spain etc. with no issues towing a Renault car, it was only when coming back home the problem arose.

Hello there, I am about to buy a Dethleffs Globe 4 motorhome - Fiat Ducato 2011 (150 HP), with I believe an AL-KO chassis. Its very low to the ground, what you might call a "glamper"! Its about 4" lower than my current motorhome so I am wondering about the best way to raise the suspension.

I figure that air bags under the back springs may lift and stop the long overhang from scraping so easily in driveways. Maybe on the front too, but I have no idea whether this will destabilise the van on corners or high wind. So looking for various options of how to go about doing this, thanks in advance.View attachment 419802
i had the same issue, i fitted air assist on the rear cost about £350 toke 4-5 hrs ran it on 2 bar most of the time but when needed raised up to 4bar to give the extra clearance
Billy

i had the same issue, i fitted air assist on the rear cost about £350 toke 4-5 hrs ran it on 2 bar most of the time but when needed raised up to 4bar to give the extra clearance
Billy
Thanks! Did you have the AL-KO chassis? So you installed the rubber air bags under back springs? How many inches height did you gain on 4 bar?

Back