Technical fiat dies at random

Currently reading:
Technical fiat dies at random

popesutek

82 spider 2000, starts and drives great but at random it just dies off. I let it sit for a minute starts right back up and goes again. Air sensor?

Had a similar problem with my '82. Turned out to be a bad combination relay - one side controls the fuel pump, the other side controls the injectors. The injector side would overheat and lose continuity and the car would stop as if the ignition key had been turned off. When it cooled down, continuity was re-established and it ran fine - for a while.

However, it could be a bad coolant sensor, ignition switch or air flow meter.

GT

What test can I do to find out what is going on?
What are some good sites for parts also?

and if I was to just switch to carburator, how would i go about it, and where could I find the parts. I read something that said you could use a few VW parts (think it was the intake manifold maybe?) , but it didnt say what parts..
I'll take any info I can get, links to threads or walkthroughs that have covered this or just a good part site so i can figure it out on my own.

I can't find a half way decent fiat part site for anything.

but I found
1979 FIAT 2000 SPIDER INTAKE MANIFOLD
1979 FIAT 2000 SPIDER WEBER CARBURETOR
what else would I need to make the conversion?

Last edited:
What test can I do to find out what is going on?
What are some good sites for parts also?

and if I was to just switch to carburator, how would i go about it, and where could I find the parts. I read something that said you could use a few VW parts (think it was the intake manifold maybe?) , but it didnt say what parts..
I'll take any info I can get, links to threads or walkthroughs that have covered this or just a good part site so i can figure it out on my own.

I can't find a half way decent fiat part site for anything.

but I found
1979 FIAT 2000 SPIDER INTAKE MANIFOLD
1979 FIAT 2000 SPIDER WEBER CARBURETOR
what else would I need to make the conversion?

Go to carb? The fuel injection gas pump moves gas like a small fire hose at around 30-35 psi. I think carb is around 3-4 psi. Give the tech guys at international auto parts a call, they might help with the stalling issues. One I use for parts and info in Canada is Ital motors in Edmonton Alberta,both have web sites.
As I mentioned with another user was for used parts I goto Auto Italia in Windor CA (web-site also)
hope this helps
Chris

What about airflow sensors, I was playing around with it and I am pretty sure all it is, is the airflow sensor. Any ideas where I can pick one up for fairly good price?

Back