Currently reading:
General Fiat bravo-JTD Gearbox

JSweete

i have search high and low, is there a 6 speed gearbox or a performance gearbox you can fit into the bravo??

as id rather replace any dead parts with performance car parts as this makes more sense if im having to replace them anyway!

all advise gratefully recieved

hmm thats a bummer, is there not a gear box that would maybe be better for the bravo JTD?

maybe that off a marea weekend 2.4?

you could fit the 6 speed from an alfa romeo 156 jtdm16v. the block is the same 1.9 so it will defo fit the engine, but you may need to modify the gearbox mounts (i doubt it) and modify the driveshafts (i doubt it).

what difference would it make? well tbh i cant be bothered to do the maths for you, but i'm sure it would improve acceleration.

Last edited:
wow thats a very interesing theory, so is the 156 JTD the same engine through and through (as performance parts for Bravos are limited but alfas have a few more parts and companys)

and you say i may have to modify driveshaft and box mounts, but you say doubt it? do you think it would be safe to say it will fit straight out?

as i dont want to buy it to find i cant fit it (as im just getting a mate whos a mechanic to fit the box for me like)

yep, the JTD block is the same on all 1.9JTD's (and also 1.9 GM group engines such as vauxhall cdti and saab tid)

the 8v head is different to the 16v head obviously.

Last edited:
ah superb :) great info there mate learn something new every day and all that lol. il look into this further, appreciate it :)

as id imagine the alfa gearbox to feel so much better than the fiat one!

ok ive only just realised that actually the engine is 8v to which i was unaware :confused: so im assuming the alfa 156JTDm16v box is out of the window can anyone make any other suggestions?

it makes no difference how many valves the head has, the block is still the same. there are several variants of the 1.9jtd but they all use the same block. you could even fit the gearbox from a multipla.

bought not brought.

yes you'd have a 6 speed bravo, but you also need to fit the 6 speed selector (otherwise how will you select 6th gear?) and you will need to make the gearbox linkages fit between the selector and gearbox. personally i'd try to modify the alfa linkages, i suspect they will fit without much trouble because both cars are built on same platform so dimensions should be the same.

Last edited:
im really intreaged with this, only other thought is the JTDM16v is 130 or 150bhp i believe, and so would i need to get the 150 remap to beable to have the car fit into the gear ratios?

or in other words what would happen if you just fitted the 6 speed box on a 105hp standard JTD?

also as for fitting all the selector and link arms and gearbox, do you think it would be a difficult job? (for a qualifyed mechanic that is)?

(excuse the lack of knoledge but im know mechanic!! lol)

Last edited:
what would happen if you just fitted the 6 speed box on a 105hp standard JTD?
imo the standard 105jtd would be quicker with the 6speed fitted and also use less fuel.

it is very much dependant on torque. the 105jtd does have less torque than the alfa so you would expect less acceleration than the alfa, but a remap would sort that out, and the bravo is also lighter which helps even things out. if it still felt a tad sluggish after a remap, changing to smaller tyres would help shortern the gears.

i'm sure a qualified mechanic (or a competent DIYer) would be able to do it.

ah i see excellent, thanks for the comments jug appreciate it mate as i really dont have much of a clue! lol

and tbh ive asked all over and it appears that no one else does either.

so sod it! im going to source the box and get it done, il let you all know how i get on (when i get round to it!)

last question here so just to clarify i need

the Alfa 156JTDm16v Gearbox
The selector
and the gear linkages

is that everything?

Last edited:
you'll also need to find a mechanic who is willing to do it. many are not interested in conversions because they dont know how long it will take them so they cant quote for labour easily.

ah a good friend of mine is a mechanic so il just pay him to do it. luckly the new credit card came through this morning haha

superb thanks alot jug :)

il post up how i get on.

Back