Technical Fiat bravo electrical fault! Help!

Currently reading:
Technical Fiat bravo electrical fault! Help!

jonathan3

First symptom, Dead battery (original) Was not holding charge! Barley reading over 10 volts, Changed to new battery, car starts, Thinking it was possibly the alternator? When I got the battery fitted at Halfords, guy said it was ok! (Don't completely trust) Car running ok for a week no problems, then get a message that A.B.S is not available then air bag! Then all interior lights decide to dim, car stalls! Restarts once only! Ticking noise in fuse box possibly relay! I know this is not much to go on, but battery is not completely dead either, so what could it be? What should I check? ( This is a 1.9T Bravo II 120BHP Diesel, Manual) Starter motor? Alternator? Another Electrical fault? Something grounding to chassis? I only just got a new clutch and mass fly wheel fitted that was expensive enough!

Also located the OBD2 Port, but comes up with calibration code on the OBD2 reader and when ignition is turned on the OBD2 reader severely dims! I'm not sure of the triggers are for this car to get the OBD reader to come up with information either?

Last edited:
I might have partially found the problem! Just pulled the cable coming from the alternator to the battery and suddenly the voltage has jumped on the partially charged battery from 11 volts to over 13 volts, hopefully it's just a connection problem? Sounds weird! The tone of the engine has changed slightly, need to look underneath! To be certain of this! But sounds normal to me!

Found the problem with the main red lead connecting the alternator to the battery was severally loose in fact there was no retaining nut on the alternator terminal at all! Just hanging there on the terminal! I did not see it until I undone the access panels under the engine and had an inspection lamp to hand! Just enough room to get your hand and small socket set from the top left side of engine to get another nut on! Hopefully that is that! No faulty battery and no faulty Alternator in the end! Do they usually vibrate loose? Comes to mind! mmm! Well I certainly did not un-do that nut!
confused.gif

Back