Technical Fiat Brava 1.2 80sx Tank Strap

Currently reading:
Technical Fiat Brava 1.2 80sx Tank Strap

SionC

Hi there I was wondering if anyone knew where I could get a replacement part for my fuel tank, the tank strap has fallen off and I've called up numerous garages and scrapyards, all who say that the piece has ceased being manufactured and that it is too fragile to take off old cars. I have my MOT coming up shortly so I need to get this seen to as soon as possible. If there isn't a way of obtaining this piece would it be possible to strap it down with an old seatbelt (I read someone on this forum has done that previously) as the most important part is that the tank is secured for its MOT right? If this is my best bet then what should I strap the seatbelt too that would be sturdy enough?

Anyway any help is appreciated. Thanks!

I don't think you'll find a new one - but I've got an older Tipo where one strap rusted through completely... I just ground it off, gave the remaining one a good scrape, and protected it with black hammerite while also "painting in" the missing strap in the recess of the tank bottom. It's never had an MOT problem - I find that if the underneath looks clean and smooth and painted with no developing or obvious existing rust then most testers will be fairly sympathetic if you've apparently made an effort at maintenance and repairs.

Fingers crossed...

Back