Fiat 850 Mild Custom Project

Currently reading:
Fiat 850 Mild Custom Project

Yosemitecustoms

I traded a guy a rowboat for a 850 Racer here near Yosemite, CA. It is all straight, has some rust, but nothing I can't fix, and according to the previous owner, a mechanic, just has a flat cam.

Looking for parts, I went to a junk yard near Yosemite Park in the Sierra and bought a junked 1969 850 Spider for $15. The junk yard owner (83 years old) was surprised I wanted it. The top was in shambles and it was absolutely filled, really, with ground squirrel poop... to the top of the doors!

I put on rolling tires then flat-bedded it home. I started shop vaccing out the poop, then started hitting solid objects buried inside the waste. It was like digging for treasure! I found three engines, three radiators, aluminum racing heads, a racing carb (Holley), and dozens of other parts. There were gasket kits, pistons, cranks and tons of badges. All in all, I think the car was being set up for racing.

Strangely, the squirrel poop seems to have preserved the gear. Quite a find for $15 and a row boat. :D

I know Racers are rare, but Spiders are more common. Is a complete 850 Racer minus the vinyl top too rare to do a mild custom? I was thinking a top chop and an alternate higher HP drivetrain. I can customize the Spider, but at 4000ft up in the Sierra Nevada, wouldn't mind the hard top.

What do you think? Thanks for any replies in advance. (y)

I traded a guy a rowboat for a 850 Racer here near Yosemite, CA. It is all straight, has some rust, but nothing I can't fix, and according to the previous owner, a mechanic, just has a flat cam.

Looking for parts, I went to a junk yard near Yosemite Park in the Sierra and bought a junked 1969 850 Spider for $15. The junk yard owner (83 years old) was surprised I wanted it. The top was in shambles and it was absolutely filled, really, with ground squirrel poop... to the top of the doors!

I put on rolling tires then flat-bedded it home. I started shop vaccing out the poop, then started hitting solid objects buried inside the waste. It was like digging for treasure! I found three engines, three radiators, aluminum racing heads, a racing carb (Holley), and dozens of other parts. There were gasket kits, pistons, cranks and tons of badges. All in all, I think the car was being set up for racing.

Strangely, the squirrel poop seems to have preserved the gear. Quite a find for $15 and a row boat. :D

I know Racers are rare, but Spiders are more common. Is a complete 850 Racer minus the vinyl top too rare to do a mild custom? I was thinking a top chop and an alternate higher HP drivetrain. I can customize the Spider, but at 4000ft up in the Sierra Nevada, wouldn't mind the hard top.

What do you think? Thanks for any replies in advance. (y)

You must be thinking, "finally, a reply!"

This seems to be a dark corner of the Forum but has some interesting stuff in it, like your projects for example, any updates?

I just bought two 1972 850's. Bunches of parts too! 3 extra engine blocks, cranks, cams, water pumps, oil pumps, doors, windows, trim, hood, etc... Let me know if might need anything.

Back