600 (Classic) Fiat 600

Currently reading:
600 (Classic) Fiat 600

Nick1964

Hi, Thanks for the welcome Ben. Just bought a 1962 Fiat 600 with suicide doors as a restoration project. Thought i would strip it and see what i have. I may have bitten off more than i can chew!!!!!!!!! I think a lot is repairable but i definitely need a left door. So if any one has a spare left suicide door, please get in touch. I can not see how to take the door off the hinges. Has any member taken suicide doors of a 600 or maybe the 500 might be the same method. Any help would greatly be appreciated. Thanks.

Hi, Thanks for the welcome Ben. Just bought a 1962 Fiat 600 with suicide doors as a restoration project. Thought i would strip it and see what i have. I may have bitten off more than i can chew!!!!!!!!! I think a lot is repairable but i definitely need a left door. So if any one has a spare left suicide door, please get in touch. I can not see how to take the door off the hinges. Has any member taken suicide doors of a 600 or maybe the 500 might be the same method. Any help would greatly be appreciated. Thanks.
Can't help with a door , the last and only Fiat 600 with suicide doors I owned was in 1972.:)
Re removal I am guessing that if similar to many cars that era you drive the "roll pins" out of the hinge, basically a spring steel hollow pin with a "slit" down it's length.
There is a special tool with different size threaded pins that drop down inside the hollow then engage with a slot in a square bar that you hammer and the pin should slide out. If that sounds familiar let me know, as somewhere in my garage I have the tool so a photo of it may help identify what I mean.
I would say don't be tempted to use a parallel punch or similar as it will make matters worse.

Thanks bugsymike a photo would be great
It's been sat in a damp garage for years, simple but did the job.
You hit the square bar as near to the pin as safely possible whilst holding the other end firmly.

Attachments

• DSCF1078.JPG
    DSCF1078.JPG
    460.7 KB · Views: 27
@Nick1964 Exciting new project for you!

I also had a terrible time getting the door pins out of my 600. Old timers said to use heat and an air hammer on the bottom of the pin. I had no luck doing that. This process will destroy your paint, if that is an issue for you.

I finally got mine out with a combination of drilling them, soaking them in penetrating oil and using a hinge pin puller like this:
1701106789597.png

here is a link for something like what I used: https://www.ebay.com/itm/2659242181...21a1231d6ea83c0fff29b&mkrid=710-53481-19255-0

The important bit was getting the knurl out of the top. The hinge pin has a knurl, but only on the top 5mm near the head, so if you can get it started, the rest should slide out more easily. I hope that helps.
1701107099421.png

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
I was thinking of the hollow split roll pin type, so my tool no good, if yours is like picture then that tool looks ideal.:)

Attachments

• DSCF1091.JPG
    DSCF1091.JPG
    467.7 KB · Views: 22
I think a lot is repairable but i definitely need a left door.
Hey @Nick1964, if you get desperate for a door, I know that Chris Obert in California USA has them. I bought my replacement suicide doors from him. I don't know what the shipping situation would be for you, but it might be worth an email.

https://www.fiatplus.com/

I dont see used doors on this website, but I know he has them. Good luck!

Back