Technical Fiat 500L (2013) Diesel - Limp mode/slow acceleration until it warms up

Currently reading:
Technical Fiat 500L (2013) Diesel - Limp mode/slow acceleration until it warms up

OwenChief

Hi, I'm wondering if someone can help before I finally just lose the rag and give it to an actual dealership to look at and get ripped off...

the issue is that when you turn the car on, the acceleration will almost feel like its stuck in limp mode, I'm not sure if its full-on limp mode since it will eventually get to 70-80mph and can hold those speeds but the acceleration is beyond brutal, where you are putting your foot all the way down on the pedal and you may as well be in the flintstones mobile and be running with your feet if you sit there out of gear and rev it up it will struggle to go over 3000rpm and when driving and going thru 1/2/3 gear it will be ok in first and move a bit, 2nd I can get it up to 20+ and then when I switch it to 3/4 etc then I'm having to put my foot most of the way down as it crawls up to speed

Now this may sound weird, but if you drive it for 15-20 mins and do a motorway run, it will go back to the way it used to be and drive fine, you can take away at lights fairly fast again way it always used to be... You are almost fooled into believing the issue is gone the first time you think omg the issue is gone

But then you go to drive the next day or after its cooled down and here we are stuck in this rather weird limpish mode again, the engine management light will pop on if you try to rev it really high during this time

since October we took it down to the garage 4 times now for this issue, we got a new turbo in October (£300 quid) as that is what the diagnostic showed a fault in, but then that didn't do anything in terms of the issue we were having, so we took it back down in December and they said we needed a new EGR valve for the engine, we had to order that from Italy and that was about £650 quid inc labour, they said that would fix it and they took apart the engine to fix that part and although we were frustrated we just wanted the issue fixed and reluctantly agreed on the basis that it would actually fix the issue this time.

I drove it home and I said to san that same day this hasn't fixed anything, as I revved it up high again and the engine light went on

The last time they took it down they said they were mystified by it, as like I told them they would drive it for 10 mins and it would work great and be back to normal, but as soon as it cooled down it went back to this again, they didn't even charge us for that last visit and the car sat with them for nearly 2 weeks as they even brought in someone to see what they thought and again they didn't know.

They said they reset the EGR valve when it was cold so then did a run on it and did something with it after it warmed up this time, but that made no change... The garage has since given us it back, the issue still persists but we were asked to monitor it and let them know, this is a garage we've used for 8 years and never had any issues, and they would never go out of their way to rip us off at any time during that spell.

We are pulling our hair out here, this is my partner's car and I've already said just to sell it a year ago but she does like the car for some reason that I'm not aware of and wants to see what can be done, does anyone have any experience of this and can advise?? the fault/diagnostic codes are none the wiser the guy is saying

Did you slove the problem with your Stilo? I have the same problem but my car doesn't run well after its warmed up.

Back