Technical Fiat 500 dualogic with noisy clutch release bearing

Currently reading:
Technical Fiat 500 dualogic with noisy clutch release bearing

Agip

Hi, my son has a 2013 Fiat 500 0.9 Twinair dualogic. The clutch release bearing/thrust bearing is quite noisy. It's a big job to remove the gearbox and change the thrust bearing. Replacing the whole clutch may be a good idea at the same time.
BUT if i install a new clutch does the Dualogic need some kind of calibration?

Yes it seems to need a calibration. I am going to use the Multiecuscan.

The car is parked because of the noisy bearing and I have been working for a few days to take off the gearbox to access the thrust bearing.
Worst car i have ever worked on! So tight!
As you see the bearing has failed completely.

Attachments

• a.jpg
    a.jpg
    591.8 KB · Views: 55
  • b.jpg
    b.jpg
    637.7 KB · Views: 56
  • d.jpg
    d.jpg
    470.9 KB · Views: 54
Refitting the gearbox with the car on axle stands is horrible. But if you cut a “2x3” timber batten to run from scuttle to radiator frame you can take the gearbox weight using a ratchet strap. This allows you to rotate the box and keep it aligned while the strap takes the weight.

Yes in Multiecuscan do a clutch bleed, clutch calibration self-enable (which needs the engine to be run up to temperature), and finally an end of line calibration.

Nick
Still waiting for some parts and a new OBDII interface. I will install a newer version of Multiecuscan on a new PC but looking at my old PC i found this menu for the Dualogic. Which one do i use? Clutch replacement and Production/service final calibration?

Attachments

• Fiat 500 Dualogic.jpg
    Fiat 500 Dualogic.jpg
    174.3 KB · Views: 37
New clutch and thrust bearing in place. Installed a new clutch-arm and top bushing.

Did also replace the seals for the driveshafts while i had the gearbox out.

As 'puntodeltathema' suggested i did the following procedure in Multiecuscan :

Clutch drain, Clutch self-calibration enable and finally Production/Service final calibration.

We have been using the car for two days now and the gearbox seems to be ok. Changing gears as normal and no more noise :)

Fiat500clutcharm.jpg

New clutch and thrust bearing in place. Installed a new clutch-arm and top bushing.

Did also replace the seals for the driveshafts while i had the gearbox out.

As 'puntodeltathema' suggested i did the following procedure in Multiecuscan :

Clutch drain, Clutch self-calibration enable and finally Production/Service final calibration.

We have been using the car for two days now and the gearbox seems to be ok. Changing gears as normal and no more noise :)

View attachment 424277

These are the error codes stored BEFORE we replaced the clutch and thrust bearing. All because the Dualogic robot had to struggle with a worn out thrust bearing.

Attachments

• 500error codes.jpg
    500error codes.jpg
    482.6 KB · Views: 37
A worn clutch on these cars gets to the stage where it will not release regardless of how much pressure you put on the pedal. The Duologic an be very rough on clutches so I expect many "gearbox" errors are caused by this issue. The slow start from neutral means stopping at junctions (etc) in gear is the only useful option. But try to avoid too much creeping forward. It mimics the old style "slushbox" automatic but that really wears the clutch.

Back