Technical Fiat 500 1.2 Sport - front hub nut size?

Currently reading:
Technical Fiat 500 1.2 Sport - front hub nut size?

jetty

Hello
I'm in the process of removing the gearbox from a 2008 Fiat 500 1.2 Sport.
Everywhere seems to state 36mm for the front hub/axle nuts. This is too big.
I found reference to 34mm - again too big.
32mm fits - but I thought the rears were 32mm.
Has someone used rear nuts for the front?

I'm struggling to find the correct part numbers for the nuts as well. Any advice greatly appreciated (y)

You can certainly detach the hub carrier (aka swivel hub) from the suspension strut, bottom ball joint and track rod end and just remove the driveshaft complete with hub carrier, without troubling the hub nut. Since you'll at least have to detach two of those things anyway. Though you'll need to undo the ABS wiring at the wing and thread it through the various clips and stays (I wouldn't try removing the sensor, they're often jammed in). You can even leave the brake disc on - makes the whole assembly a bit heavy but the mass can be useful when you're trying to get the driveshaft clipped back in.

Nick

32mm rings a bell for the fronts. I have a 32mm socket and I tend to only buy big sockets for specific jobs.

I think the rear hub nut (drum brakes) is 28mm (I have one of those too).

I would say though, it's just a nut... so don't over think it. On my old Alfa 145 (I think) I replaced a wheel bearing and the new nut was smaller than the previous one (e.g. 36mm became a 34mm. The old one was castellated, the new one had a flange at the base and knock-in lock tabs rather than cotter pins..).. which was a PITA since I had to *walk* to Halfords and buy another socket. 😅

Ralf S.

I have a 1.4 Sport and i remember i had to buy a special socket for the hub nuts on my 500, it was a 36mm thin walled socket

Back