Fiat 126. The start of a long journey.

Currently reading:
Fiat 126. The start of a long journey.

It's running!

Only fired on the 1 cylinder to start. Couple seconds of battling with the choke levels the second came on and idle sweetly she did.

A broken connection inside the point breaker case. Which for the last week I though was in a different place. Thank god for dads that spent all their spare time playing with 50 year old motor bikes! Nearly the exact same technology. lol

The Beast said:
It's running!

Only fired on the 1 cylinder to start. Couple seconds of battling with the choke levels the second came on and idle sweetly she did.

A broken connection inside the point breaker case. Which for the last week I though was in a different place. Thank god for dads that spent all their spare time playing with 50 year old motor bikes! Nearly the exact same technology. lol

Woo hoo! :slayer:

So whats next?

Well still waiting on a bottom radiator hose and exhaust to be delivered. New points required aswell as current ones are only bodged.

Then new MOT. Not worried about mechanics of it. Just hope it is as solid as it seems.

Well hose and exhaust were delivered a few days ago. Got the old exhaust off and new one on in about an hour. Started it up and it was very quiet. Then gave it a wee rev and the banging came back.

Turns out I have just replaced a perfectly fine exhaust. there is a plate that the exhaust connects to which then connects to the car. I think this is rattling of the exhaust and causing the noise, It only better because I tightened it up a bit when fitting the new exhaust. Still it should only be a 10 minute job when I have the time weather and inclination to sort it.

The water pipe though what a nightmare.
disconnected it from the radiator and the engine fine. But the connection to the water bottle which is tucked away inside the rear quater panel was a night mare. There is a small access panel in the form of a vent. So I undid all the faseners for the bottle including the pipe to the cap which goes through the frame. Only to find even after all this I cannot manouvere the bottle into a position where I can undo the jubilee clamp on the hose.

Lots of headscratching and I realised if the radiator and it's frame came out I could maybe access the water bottle from underneath reaching in from the bottom of the engine bay. This worked but took ages.

Once all done I took it for a run to build up some temperature to bleed the coolant system. Whilst on the run the car would suddenly die for a second before coming back alive. Kangaroo petrol type symtoms and when coasting the engine would cut out altogether.

Nicely though the car seems to have fixed this issue itself without me having to get dirty again. Although slightly noisey at certain revs thanks to the exhaust plate, it is running extremely well now and done over 100 miles in 2 days. :)

If this keeps up I may be loooking at mods sooner than expected. :devilish:

goodnewseveryone.jpg

Well the brand new exhaust broke last night.
A weld into the backbox snapped. Loss of power and putt putt exhaust note.

Old exhaust is back on and I also turned the head off the bolt connecting the plate that was doing the rattling off.
So exhaust is held on by it's on pipes but at least there is no rattle now.

Another new exhaust on.:eek:

And away to stay at the MOT station for the night. Ready for it's big day tomorrow! Wish him luck.

Also Abarth decal fitted and Spots in the post from the bay. Now a cheap set of alloys while ?I save the cash for the Cromarados.
Quite fancy

Ah, at least it only failed on something simple! If you haven't already, change the bulbs to H4's, makes a big difference!

As for 'how much', will need to make sure the VW wheels I want to fit to mine will definitely fit first. If so, wouldn't want a huge amount. Tyres are still in pretty decent condition - I'd say £100ish for the set.

TBF I couldn't believe it when he said that's all it failed on. Was expecting list like I usually have with cars.

Saw a Mini van with deep dish minilites in chrome today and it made me want them.

Keep us upto date on what's happening with the VW wheels. ;)

The makeover still hasn't happened. lol But it's been busy few months for the car. Blown headgasket, which I changed for a nice copper one. a few months ago. Then a fuel starvation thing which was intermittant so a proper pain in the arse. Couple that with a bout of unemployment earlier in the year putting the marea off the road. So the 126 has had to become a main car.
Got my alloys and they are all refurbished and looking like brand new. Cinq Sportings ones not the Cromadoras unfortunately but maybe in the future.

But somethings in this picture do not belong.
power.JPG

Back