General Fiat 126: Need help getting a NY title

Currently reading:
General Fiat 126: Need help getting a NY title

Fiat 126 USA

Hello Everyone,

I am new to this forum. I recently purchased a Fiat 126 from a Auto Repair Shop in the New York area. I found the 126 in a the shops yard. The owner of the vehicle gave the 126 to the repair shop to help pay off a bill he had there. When i purchased the 126 I knew there was no title for the 126. Basically my question is does anyone know how i can get a title in NY for this 126 i bought. I paid close to nothing for the Fiat. My plan was to give it to my dad for his birthday since it was pretty much the same vehicle my dad had when he was dating my mom back home in italy. Please any info would be a great help. The Fiat 126 does run and starts right up, needs a little bodywork and engine work. I would make it a father/son project. I know getting a title is going to take some time to get and I am ok with that. I wanted to drive it they way it sits for the summer and enjoy the it. Then when the cold weather hits I want to basically strip it and do all my work which I will need some help with hoping this forum comes in handed for some of my questions and get it ready with fresh paint and new engine hopefully ready for next summer.. Please Help..!! Just need to know how i can get a title in NY or in any other state in the US.?

Thank you
Peter

:wave: welcome to the forum!!

There not a huge number of members from the USA on here so perhaps not the best place to ask really. Perhaps try posting in the more general sections of the forum and see what response you get. But i would try asking on a US based forum, or try find a Car Club based near you.

Or maybe try posting a question on a site like Pistonheads which will have a load of members based in the US who might be able to help.

Best of luck getting the title and with the project, would be great if you could keep us posted on how things go :)

thank you for your reply. I will try a US based forum and see if i can get any help there.. Is there a site or a place i can call to see if they run the VIN number for me to see where the 126 was register and who was the last owner.. I am pretty sure the vehicle was out of country and I will def keep the forum posted on the rebuild with pics and etc..

Thank you again
Peter

You could try getting a CoC (certificate of conformity) which will state everything about the car, where it was made, spec, what country it was first sold etc etc. In the UK you need this to register a foreign car but i got no idea what rules are over the pond.

Try contacting Fiat themselves and asking how to get a CoC.

ok will do, Ill keep you posted.. Thank you so much for your help with everything..

Thanks
Peter

I'm not an expert but I know repair, tow and body shops have a way to legalize non payment or abandoned cars. Since most of these type of cars dont have the title or keys. Have you spoke to the DMV? You may need some paperwork from the repair shop you got it from. Best to do it sooner than later. The shop may change owners or go out of business etc..... Just my 2cents.

Back