126 Fiat 126, daily driver, possible engine swap

Currently reading:
126 Fiat 126, daily driver, possible engine swap

Nozzer

Right, So first things first, I'm 17, and I've passed my test, I've been driving around a renault clio, but it's not for me, So i decided I would go for something rwd. Well, at 17 this is difficult, and even on traders insurance, it was hard to get insured on any of the cars i wanted, small engined bmw's etc. So i found this on eBay, late one Saturday night, i decided to give it a bid, low and behold, i woke up on Sunday, found out I'd won it and picked it up that day.

p4pb9480348.jpg

p4pb9474955.jpg

Unfortunately, the gearbox had lost first, and there's no MOT or Tax, but it runs, but probably not for that long. Plans are to sort out the problems with it, then maybe some form of engine swap. I've seen a lot of videos online with motorcycle engines in them, and I was wondering what that would involve? I'm a trainee mechanic, and my dads been a mechanic for 30 odd years, so hopefully we can work something out, I've been tempted by a lot of kawasaki engines, because of the few i looked at have higher torque.

Any help would be much appreciated.
Thanks

Great choice (y) you'll enjoy many happy and eventfull miles in that and that's for sure! :D ........ The loss of 1st gear will be the fact that its probably missing all of its teeth as its "straight cut" like how gears used to be in your grandads day meaning it doesn't have a synchromesh on 1st which is unusual on a car of that age as many cars had adopted fully synchromesh gearboxes by the early 1970s ....... Not armed with this information led many unsuspecting new owners to just whack it in to first whilst rolling up to traffic lights DOH! ..... My first 126 was bought in exactly the same way as yours..... Unseen, red and not willing to go into first :D great times!

Back